A Charles Lancaster with history

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

A Charles Lancaster with history

Postby david brown » 28 Feb 2017 07:57

Hi I thought some members may like to see this, its a Charles Lancaster in its original case purchased in 1884 by
Sir Keith Fraser 7th Queens Own Hussars

david brown

Re: A Charles Lancaster with history

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Feb 2017 20:43

Superb. The attraction of this design of pistol in a colonial environment has always been clear to me. Mechanically simple with few moving parts and so easy to repair even in a rudimentary workshop, it was also, most crucially, a total man-stopper and its long barrel made it very accurate for a good shot. In a melee its weight also made it a highly effective club. Thank you for posting it.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby david brown » 15 Mar 2017 03:58

[url][/url]Some photos of my Charles Lancaster, trigger, cam, firing pin etc., (the firing pin revolves in a cockwise direction)

Firing pin at bottom left barrel

Firing pin half way through firing cycle

Firing pin now at top left barrel
david brown

Postby Frogsmile » 16 Mar 2017 10:49

Thank you for posting David, that is the first time that I have seen the internal workings. I would love to have fired one, I imagine that it must have had a hefty 'kick'.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby david brown » 17 Mar 2017 07:31

Hi Frogsmile It is fun to shoot not much of a kick, the gun is reasonably heavy, it does have a very heavy trigger pull though not much good for target work .
david brown

Postby Frogsmile » 17 Mar 2017 10:42

david brown wrote:Hi Frogsmile It is fun to shoot not much of a kick, the gun is reasonably heavy, it does have a very heavy trigger pull though not much good for target work .

Yes I recall that trigger pull could be a problem for several double action pistols favoured by the British Army. I imagine that because of the rotational aspect of the design it could not be adjusted much, if at all.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 17 Mar 2017 13:28

david brown wrote:Hi I thought some members may like to see this, its a Charles Lancaster in its original case purchased in 1884 by
Sir Keith Fraser 7th Queens Own Hussars

Hi, David!

Beautiful gun! Would you be interested in some scans of photographs of Sir Keith Fraser's parents? I have pictures of photo albums from a friend of theirs, and there are some in there of both parents. If you'd like them, let me know your e-mail address, and I'll send them through.

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby david brown » 18 Mar 2017 02:30

Hi BingandNelsonFan Yes I would love to get some family photos of Sir Keith Fraser's (some formal family photos would be great ) and yes it is a lovely pistol . email davidbrownjewellery@gmail.com

Many thanks
David
david brown

Postby david brown » 18 Mar 2017 02:43

The heavy trigger pull was fixed by the fitting of a set trigger as a special order ,in fact all these pistols were all bespoke , one could order 3 or 4 different butt shapes , barrel lengths , calibers and triggers. Photo of set trigger.

david brown

Return to Weapons & Tactics