Generals Grave

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Generals Grave

Postby Uncle Bulgaria » 31 Jan 2017 18:49

Hi all, i live in a village named Manastir near Varna on the Bulgarian Black sea coast, The light brigade and other regiments camped in and around my village before embarking to the Crimea, unfortunately their where many deaths from cholera, 98 in my village alone,my query is this, in my neighbouring village named Dobrina the rumour is that a British General is buried their, can anyone clarify this or point me in the direction of somewhere that might know for sure.

Thanks in Advance

Ian
Uncle Bulgaria

Re: Generals Grave

Postby almaboy » 02 Feb 2017 01:02

Hi Ian.

A number of senior British officers succumbed to disease during the period that the Army occupied Varna and the surrounding district. To the best of my knowledge however, none of them were Generals, I think the highest rank was Lt Col.

It is generally accepted that the cholera epidemic which swept through the Army was initially brought in by infected French troops from Marseilles. Their Army suffered worse losses than the British so it is entirely possible that this General may have been a French one.

For your information the British Light Divn was encamped at Devna and Monastir, which comprised the 7th,19th, 23rd, 33rd, 77th, 88th and 2nd Bttn Rifle Brigade. During the month of July 1854 the Divn suffered 211 deaths from Cholera alone.

Tony.
almaboy

Postby Uncle Bulgaria » 02 Feb 2017 09:46

Hi Tony

Thank you for the information, Do you know if the grave would be marked in someway? Im going to have a look once the snow has cleared.

Do you happen to know the name of the Lt Col?

Thanks

Ian
Uncle Bulgaria

Postby almaboy » 02 Feb 2017 11:53

Hi Ian

Lt Col W Hoey 30th Ft.

He died in September 1854, but I'm not sure exactly where.
I very much doubt there are any grave markers, the Soviet era saw almost all monuments to the Allies destroyed.
almaboy

Return to Crimean War 1854-56