New book 'The Second Anglo-Sikh War'

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Anglo-Sikh Wars of 1845-46 and 1848-49.

New book 'The Second Anglo-Sikh War'

Postby Amarpal Sidhu » 14 Jul 2016 11:27

Hello everybody,

For those interested in the Anglo-Sikh wars, I just thought I'd flag up the release of my new book 'The Second Anglo-Sikh War' a few days ago.

I've tried to cover the campaign in as much detail as I could so I hope it pleases those readers who would like an in-depth account of the battles. There is plenty there also for those who like to read around the politics and personalities of the period as well.

As in the previous book, I've also included several hundred GPS locations at the back as I always find examining a battlefield or related points of interest and working out what was happening much more enjoyable on Google Earth.

So all in all I hope it proves useful and interesting to those who'd like to learn more on this war.

It's available on Amazon and other book sites.

Kind regards

Amarpal
Attachments
500length.jpg
500length.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
Amarpal Sidhu

Re: New book 'The Second Anglo-Sikh War'

Postby mike snook » 14 Jul 2016 13:45

I'm in. Thank you Amarpal I shall look forward to that. I hope you gave Chillianwallah a good run out. (I'm sure you will have done).
Thanks for investing all the effort that goes into such an endeavour. I wish you well with it.

Best wishes,

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Amarpal Sidhu » 14 Jul 2016 15:42

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that and glad it's piqued your interest :)
Yes Chillianwalla is covered pretty well as I knew folks would probably appreciate a thorough going over on that bit. I've also covered the sieges of Multan city in good detail as those tend to get less attention in previous accounts sadly.

Amarpal
Amarpal Sidhu

Postby jonc@adelaide.on.net » 16 Jul 2016 00:28

Available on Kinder - though I have ordered a hard copy Looking forward to reading it

Jon
jonc@adelaide.on.net

Postby Amarpal Sidhu » 20 Jul 2016 18:50

Hope you like it Jon. Do stick a review on Amazon if you get the chance.

Amarpal
Amarpal Sidhu

Postby Mark » 29 Jul 2016 17:23

I am very lucky to have a signed copy of this book, and although I have yet to finish reading it I can already say it is excellent!

Definitely one for the home library!

Congratulations, Amarpal!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jonc@adelaide.on.net » 29 Jul 2016 18:40

Amarpal Sidhu wrote:Hope you like it Jon. Do stick a review on Amazon if you get the chance.

Amarpal

Hi Amarpal
My copy has arrived in Australia and it looks great. However I,m about to head off to UK and France and a proper reading will have to wait for my return in October.

Cheers
Jon
jonc@adelaide.on.net

Postby Les Waring » 27 Apr 2017 13:48

Hi everyone

It's a long time since I had contact, but my situation has now cleared up considerably and I'm ready to participate in this wonderful forum again.

Since my last 'contributions' I have visited UK twice and advanced considerably on my 'Lucknow' and '32nd Foot' in India' projects. Related to the latter I have obtained both of Amarpal's books on the Anglo-Sikh Wars. The first, i've finished and I'm half-way through the second, much larger in all respects. I believe that the paperback edition of The Second Anglo-Sikh War' was only just published (March 2017), and I was lucky enough to get my copy days before leaving UK, a couple of weeks ago.

Overall I've found both books excellent reading and very informative, Amarpal's perspective helps bring out clearly the responsibility of the British in fomenting the War, without exonerating certain Sikh leaders and many of the Khalsa soldiary, so it's a very refreshing to have a multi-sided (let's not pretend that we can be 'unbiased') view of the campaign. Certain characters who have traditionally been presented in a purely positive light in British accounts, such as Herbert Edwardes, cannot be looked on so favourably in future.

One point that always puzzled me was why James Abbott's name was retained in the name of a town in independent Pakistan, but Ampal makes it very clear that he strongly favoured Moslems over Sikhs, which perhaps explains it. Of course his name will resound for some years to come due to the actions of US special forces there a few years ago, while men such as Edwardes, Dalhousie, Gough et al are already forgotten by all but Victorian India buffs such as ourselves.

I've got one 'criticism' of the book, which is its lack of footnotes/endnotes. These would have made it incredibly long and bulky, but since my '32nd's Tour of Duty in India 1846-59' project aims to be academic, these would have been very helpful. I have one or two more specific questions for Amarpal, and will try to send these in a personal mail.

Overall then, a very good, informative read and congratulations to the author. What will his next project be?

Best

Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby Mark » 28 Apr 2017 13:06

Les Waring wrote:What will his next project be?

A question I also have on my mind; I am sure Amarpal is up to something really good.

Mark

P.S. Warm welcome back, Les!
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to First & Second Sikh Wars 1845-49