RWF men of the Midlands ...... new book

For all discussions relating to British military and naval matters of the Edwardian and immediate pre-First World War period, 1901-1914.

RWF men of the Midlands ...... new book

Postby grumpy » 23 Feb 2013 16:53

I am acting as a point of sale. There is much in it for the followers of this period, with many of the men being long-serving regulars. Crammed with photographs, a mine of sociological history of the men, and an education in microcosm.

Please PM me for more details if needs be.

This is my Foreword to the book:

Foreword

I have known the author for nearly 20 years. We first got together at a meeting of the Western Front Association, where he explained his quest for information on his father (Lance-Corporal GR Knight MM) who served with several battalions of the regiment during the Great War. Since then the search has gone in parallel with mine, which was specifically for the 2nd Battalion, so it is no wonder that some material appears in both books. Most of this slight duplication arises from Graham’s generosity to me in supplying relevant images, and we neither of us make apology for it.

The book is nothing less than extraordinary in its breadth and depth. Beyond the obvious sources such as official military and civil records, Graham has used his Birmingham origins and knowledge to trawl the local families for photographs, memories, medals, anecdotes and precious yellowing cuttings from local newspapers. The internet has become a tool in the hands of historians, amateur and professional alike, that they could never have dreamed of 20 years ago, and Graham has pressed all the right buttons.

To read his Introduction and his text is to realize immediately that his emotions are strongly involved with the trials, tribulations, endurances and triumphs of his fellow Brummies. The tales he tells make plain and painful reading in places ……… injustice abounded in society, the class system often showed its nasty side, the poor families lived in slums and the death penalty (but no longer flogging for the army, a minor mercy) was available and indeed used.

In addition to its narrower aims, this book will also serve as an educator in the “internal economy” of the infantry, and the workings of the system in which the Midlanders were involved as regular soldiers, or as Special Reservists as drafts, or the Territorial Force as early arrivals at the front (4th RWF arrived before 1914 was out), “Kitchener’s Army” men, or as Derby Scheme men, and finally as conscripts.

The illustrations are amazingly comprehensive, few have previously seen the light of day (and certainly very few published). Some are of poor quality but, given their antiquity and origins, wonders to behold.

The book is a memorial to the Midlanders of the Regiment in dark days, days which ended in victory, but at dreadful cost of lives and treasure. Taken across the Regiment, of every five fighting men on active service, one did not survive, two were wounded, and the mental trauma inflicted on those surviving “unscathed” lasted them a lifetime. All of which might have been bearable if “The War to end War” had ended War, but it did not.

I looked for works to compare with the scope and depth of Fighting with the Royal Welsh. I doubt if there are any such, and I doubt if anyone other than Graham could or would have done the long hard yards and succeeded so well. The book is written as he speaks, he speaks as he thinks, and he thinks like a Brummie, an authentic voice.

Thank you Graham for the opportunity to write the Foreword, and, above all, my sincerest thanks on behalf of posterity.

David Langley
Baston 2013
grumpy
Veteran Member

Re: RWF men of the Midlands ...... new book

Postby grumpy » 26 Feb 2013 20:10

I am keen that members should have the opportunity to acquire this book .......... it is VERY different and has a huge amount of period detail and vast numbers of illustrations. Members of the Great War Forum are hoovering copies up .......... the initial print run is small and there may never be another run.

I have a financial stake in the book but this was taken as a philanthropic gesture ..... I may or may not break even!
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 26 Feb 2013 21:21

Please feel free to post price and postage etc.

Hopefully this book will appeal to many members :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby grumpy » 26 Feb 2013 21:32

Thank you:

the author has held price down and quality up: 217 A4 pages on good paper, soft back colour cover laminated, and either of us will post out to UK addresses

for a total price of £20, or collect at £15. This is a memorial, not a money-making venture.

There will be good sales in the Midlands, my job is to make the book more widely available.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby grumpy » 06 Mar 2013 12:50

Just to add that my allocation of copies to distribute is well on the way to being spoken for: if you have any inkling to purchase please PM, or forever hold your peace, as they say!
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Nell » 24 May 2015 17:49

Hi do you still have a copy of this book for sale?
Nell

Postby grumpy » 24 May 2015 17:53

Nell wrote:Hi do you still have a copy of this book for sale?

Sorry to say, none left.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 24 May 2015 20:45

Nell wrote:Hi do you still have a copy of this book for sale?

Nell, it is apparently available from the museum for the reduced price of £17: http://www.rwfmuseum.org.uk/pu.html
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The Edwardian & Immediate Pre-First World War Period 1901-14