Life of the British soldier in India, 1900-1914

For all discussions relating to British military and naval matters of the Edwardian and immediate pre-First World War period, 1901-1914.

Life of the British soldier in India, 1900-1914

Postby Mark » 26 Dec 2012 14:04

Can anyone point me in the direction of a book or other publication that has detailed information on the life of the British soldier serving in India and on the North West Frontier between the turn of the twentieth-century to the outbreak of the First World War? I have Sahib by Richard Holmes but am looking for something that offers an indepth look at the immediate pre-1914 period.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Life of the British soldier in India, 1900-1914

Postby rclpillinger » 26 Dec 2012 15:58

Mark, firstly I hope that you have had a happy Chirstmas and will have a peaceful and productive new year.

My Grandfather spent from 1902 until 1912 in India, some four year at Mhow then moving to Rawal Pindi in 1907. This was the year that he started to introduce and edit the Regimental Gazette, and I have a copy of most of the issues from that period. They do give a pretty good idea of what life was like, with loads of sport, the odd grand excerise, some involvement with the locals, summers in the mountains away from the 112 degree heat (in the shade) and probably a degree of boredom.

If I can be of any help with you research please let me know through my private e-mail.

I am hoping very soon to put a new page on his website, www.majorpillinger.com dedicated to this period, as there is the last of his photo albums in the Hussars Museum which I intend to go and photograph soon, and I would like to put up another page concerning the Tenths involvement in the Coronation Duhbar.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby Mark » 26 Dec 2012 16:19

Hi Richard

You are spot on with the type of thing I am looking for - info about sports, past times and what they did to fight the boredom etc. I am just about to leave the house as I type this but will send you a PM/Email tomorrow when I return :)

Many thanks for your help.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jonc@adelaide.on.net » 26 Dec 2012 23:51

Mark
was the book you referred to "Old Soldier Sahib" by Frank Richards (author of the WW1 classic "Old Soldiers Never Die"). If not it is well worth reading, it brilliantly encompasses the boredom of army life in India - no NWF action for the RWF in his time.

jonc
jonc@adelaide.on.net

Postby grumpy » 27 Dec 2012 11:06

jonc@adelaide.on.net wrote:Mark
was the book you referred to "Old Soldier Sahib" by Frank Richards (author of the WW1 classic "Old Soldiers Never Die"). If not it is well worth reading, it brilliantly encompasses the boredom of army life in India - no NWF action for the RWF in his time.

jonc

And get hold of the fully illustrated, footnoted and indexed modern hardback .......... edited by me and another.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 27 Dec 2012 23:16

jonc/grumpy

Sounds perfect! Thanks for the suggestions - I will see if I can get hold of a copy :)

Much appreciated!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Maureene » 29 Dec 2012 05:34

grumpy wrote: And get hold of the fully illustrated, footnoted and indexed modern hardback .......... edited by me and another.
Here is a review of the annotated edition of Old Soldier Sahib referred to by Grumpy
http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... sahib.html
I looked in the catalogue of the British Library but could not see the annotated edition listed. Does Grumpy know whether it is there (legal deposit etc) and/or whether there are any sources to buy the book new?

Mark wrote:the type of thing I am looking for - info about sports, past times and what they did to fight the boredom etc.
For an example of one activity, knitting, see the topic “The Knitting Circle-1st Northamptonshire Regiment-India” where Frogsmile kindly provided information. The photograph referred to was taken in 1907/1908
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6628&p=27146#p27146

rclpillinger wrote:...Regimental Gazette, and I have a copy of most of the issues from that period. They do give a pretty good idea of what life was like, with loads of sport, the odd grand excerise, some involvement with the locals, summers in the mountains away from the 112 degree heat (in the shade) and probably a degree of boredom.
For more examples of regimental journals, available online, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Rifle Brigade
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=R ... oks_online. There are editions of the The Rifle Brigade Chronicle for 1901, 1904 when the 3rd Battalion was in India

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby grumpy » 29 Dec 2012 16:22

Maureene wrote:
grumpy wrote: And get hold of the fully illustrated, footnoted and indexed modern hardback .......... edited by me and another.
Here is a review of the annotated edition of Old Soldier Sahib referred to by Grumpy
http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... sahib.html
I looked in the catalogue of the British Library but could not see the annotated edition listed. Does Grumpy know whether it is there (legal deposit etc) and/or whether there are any sources to buy the book new?

Mark wrote:the type of thing I am looking for - info about sports, past times and what they did to fight the boredom etc.
For an example of one activity, knitting, see the topic “The Knitting Circle-1st Northamptonshire Regiment-India” where Frogsmile kindly provided information. The photograph referred to was taken in 1907/1908
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6628&p=27146#p27146

rclpillinger wrote:...Regimental Gazette, and I have a copy of most of the issues from that period. They do give a pretty good idea of what life was like, with loads of sport, the odd grand excerise, some involvement with the locals, summers in the mountains away from the 112 degree heat (in the shade) and probably a degree of boredom.
For more examples of regimental journals, available online, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Rifle Brigade
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=R ... oks_online. There are editions of the The Rifle Brigade Chronicle for 1901, 1904 when the 3rd Battalion was in India

Cheers
Maureen

Old Soldier Sahib 2005 Krijnen and Langley ISBN 0-9547252-1-2

Limited edition, now out of print, mostly sold by pre-subscription to customers of the companion edition Old Soldiers Never Die..

Original price was £25, I now release my small hoard at £30 plus p&P.

And the legal deposit procedure was followed to the letter, so available At Brit Lib, Oxford, Cambs, Dublin [sic] Edinburgh and Cardiff.

I have a few copies left, some autographed by Frank's daughter.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby jonc@adelaide.on.net » 30 Dec 2012 23:21

Grumpy ,
PM sent
Jonc
jonc@adelaide.on.net

Postby Mark » 31 Dec 2012 01:10

Thanks all for your kind help. I now have a copy of Frank's book and will check out the links above.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to The Edwardian & Immediate Pre-First World War Period 1901-14