Movements of the 1st and 2nd Bn’s KOYLI 1910-14.

For all discussions relating to British military and naval matters of the Edwardian and immediate pre-First World War period, 1901-1914.

Movements of the 1st and 2nd Bn’s KOYLI 1910-14.

Postby Gunner R.A. » 25 Nov 2012 16:09

Could anyone please help me with the movements of the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the King’s Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry) during the period 1910 to 1914?
Looking at the KOYLI in the Great War by RC Bond, in 1914 the 1st Bn was stationed in Tanglin Barracks, Singapore and the 2nd Bn was in Dublin where it had been for the past ten months.

Can anyone please list their movements from the beginning of 1910 up until this point, I have been unable to find anything via the internet, any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Cheers,

Pete.
Gunner R.A.

Re: Help with Movements of the 1st and 2nd Bn’s KOYLI 1910-1

Postby Maureene » 25 Nov 2012 23:17

Hello Pete
From the archived website Regiments.org:
1st Battalion
1906 South Africa
1910 Hong Kong
1913 Singapore
http://web.archive.org/web/200801131824 ... /051-1.htm

2nd Battalion
1907 Aldershot
1910 Ireland: Cork
1912 Dublin
http://web.archive.org/web/200712212336 ... nf/105.htm

Occasionally information from this site has not been correct, so you could cross check against Army Lists

The above links are taken from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page 51st Regiment of Foot
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=5 ... nt_of_Foot

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Gunner R.A. » 26 Nov 2012 10:53

Thankyou for the quick reply and the information Maureene it's really appreciated,

regards,

Pete.
Gunner R.A.

Postby saw119 » 26 Nov 2012 12:52

There is also a photograph of the 1st battalion in Cape Town in 1910 wgich must have been taken just before they left for Hong Kong. It appears in this book along with a picture of the 1st leaving Singapore in 1914.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Yorkshire-Infantry-Archive-Photographs/dp/075241867X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353930714&sr=1-3
saw119

Postby Gunner R.A. » 26 Nov 2012 15:26

saw119 wrote:There is also a photograph of the 1st battalion in Cape Town in 1910 wgich must have been taken just before they left for Hong Kong. It appears in this book along with a picture of the 1st leaving Singapore in 1914.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Yorkshire-Infantry-Archive-Photographs/dp/075241867X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353930714&sr=1-3

Thanks for that saw119, much appreciated,

Pete.
Gunner R.A.

Postby swordcollector1 » 27 Nov 2012 22:57

Hi Pete,

Good research, but strictly speaking out of the the scope of this forum, which is dedicated to the Victorian period ending in 1901. Maybe future contributors could email or PM you direct so you can still get the help you need?

Good luck with this! I have a great KOYLI photo from the inter-war period at Peshawar which includes a WW1 VC winner, so let me know if this would be of interest to you. A private message will always get to me.

Regards,

John
swordcollector1

Postby Mark » 28 Nov 2012 00:49

Yes strictly speaking this topic is outside the scope of this forum. That said our 'Other Campaigns' section does extend up to 1913 so I will allow this thread to remain until the original question is answered. Please stay out of the First World War though unless part of the story is in the Victorian period.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby saw119 » 28 Nov 2012 10:13

I wouldn't like to think we're the kind of people who'd turn someone away just because it falls slightly out of the forums timeframe. That period post Victoria but pre WWI isn't really covered anywhere else and certainly as far as my research goes I have some soldiers who signed up in the late Victorian period but weren't discharged until well in the late Edwardian period and even after, I don't just ignore what happens to them in those intervening years before WWI. Many of us have the kind of information the chap was asking for and I don't see anything wrong with helping someone out. Lord knows I aske a question about pre WWI matters on the Great War Forum and was instantly locked :D
saw119

Postby Gunner R.A. » 28 Nov 2012 19:13

swordcollector1 wrote:Hi Pete,

Good research, but strictly speaking out of the the scope of this forum, which is dedicated to the Victorian period ending in 1901. Maybe future contributors could email or PM you direct so you can still get the help you need?

Good luck with this! I have a great KOYLI photo from the inter-war period at Peshawar which includes a WW1 VC winner, so let me know if this would be of interest to you. A private message will always get to me.

Regards,

John

O.k. John, no problem i understand.
Gunner R.A.

Postby Gunner R.A. » 28 Nov 2012 19:18

Mark wrote:Yes strictly speaking this topic is outside the scope of this forum. That said our 'Other Campaigns' section does extend up to 1913 so I will allow this thread to remain until the original question is answered. Please stay out of the First World War though unless part of the story is in the Victorian period.

Mark

No problem Mark, however i have to say that this site was recommended by someone on the Great War Forum (where iv'e been a member for almost ten years) because no one seemed able to answer my question there,

regards,

Pete.
Gunner R.A.

Postby Gunner R.A. » 28 Nov 2012 19:20

saw119 wrote:I wouldn't like to think we're the kind of people who'd turn someone away just because it falls slightly out of the forums timeframe. That period post Victoria but pre WWI isn't really covered anywhere else and certainly as far as my research goes I have some soldiers who signed up in the late Victorian period but weren't discharged until well in the late Edwardian period and even after, I don't just ignore what happens to them in those intervening years before WWI. Many of us have the kind of information the chap was asking for and I don't see anything wrong with helping someone out. Lord knows I aske a question about pre WWI matters on the Great War Forum and was instantly locked :D

Appreciated saw119 :wink:
Gunner R.A.

Postby Mark » 28 Nov 2012 20:17

Gunner R.A. wrote:
Mark wrote:Yes strictly speaking this topic is outside the scope of this forum. That said our 'Other Campaigns' section does extend up to 1913 so I will allow this thread to remain until the original question is answered. Please stay out of the First World War though unless part of the story is in the Victorian period.

Mark

No problem Mark, however i have to say that this site was recommended by someone on the Great War Forum (where iv'e been a member for almost ten years) because no one seemed able to answer my question there,

regards,

Pete.

Hi Pete

I am in the process of setting up a sub-forum for the Edwardian period. It makes sense to have something to cover the immediate post-Victorian years since they differed very little from the previous decade. When it is set up I will move this thread to it.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby swordcollector1 » 28 Nov 2012 23:36

Mark wrote:I am in the process of setting up a sub-forum for the Edwardian period. It makes sense to have something to cover the immediate post-Victorian years since they differed very little from the previous decade. When it is set up I will move this thread to it.

Great addition to the Forum's scope, Mark, and one which will I'm sure be welcomed by some of us "Victorian but also anything pre-WW1" nuts who don't otherwise have a natural home!

John
swordcollector1

Postby Gunner R.A. » 29 Nov 2012 16:36

Mark wrote:
Gunner R.A. wrote:

Mark

regards,

Pete.

Hi Pete

I am in the process of setting up a sub-forum for the Edwardian period. It makes sense to have something to cover the immediate post-Victorian years since they differed very little from the previous decade. When it is set up I will move this thread to it.

Mark

Thanks Mark, much appreciated,

regards,

Pete.
Gunner R.A.

Postby saw119 » 29 Nov 2012 17:27

Mark wrote:
Gunner R.A. wrote:

Mark

regards,

Pete.

Hi Pete

Mark

What a simply excellent idea, simple and elegant. Now why didn't I think of it...
saw119

Return to The Edwardian & Immediate Pre-First World War Period 1901-14