Editors Notes XRH Gazette

For all discussions relating to British military and naval matters of the Edwardian and immediate pre-First World War period, 1901-1914.

Editors Notes XRH Gazette

Postby rclpillinger » 06 Jan 2016 00:57

I have published the first of the Editors Notes that my Grandfather wrote as Editor of the XRH Gazette, from Rawal Pindi, these from October 1909.

They give quite a good idea of day to day life in the station, mentioning Officers' furlough, two cases of snake bite, visiting teams from the 12th Lancers for sporting events, and mentions other Regimental Magazines as they slowly appear. Also I have included the Obituary pages.

I am aiming to get all the quarterly notes that I have copies of, on the site, over the coming months. I have all the Gazettes from 1908 until the start of the Great War, but it will take time.

If you are interested go to http://www.majorpillinger.com, click on "XRH Gazette" and follow the path to Editors Notes.

Richard
rclpillinger

Re: Editors Notes XRH Gazette

Postby rclpillinger » 26 Jan 2016 12:42

Just added Editor's Notes from October 1908

RP
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 28 Jan 2016 15:16

AND another one bites the dust:

January 1909. With the first mention of an Officer with a car!
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 08 Feb 2016 21:59

Thick and fast!

Just posted April 1909. The new annual subs. recorded to the Gazette really do make a wonderful list of the Great and the Good.
And most of them serving or past Officers of the Tenth. (Does anyone know anything about Whippy & Co?)

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 15 Feb 2016 21:24

I have just completed and posted the Notes of the July Issue, 1909, and this will probably be the last for a few months because of time restrictions.

This issue contains some very interesting facts about the visit of one Count Hans Von Konigsmarck, the author of a book called Der Englander in Indien. He seems to have been given carte blanche to study the operations and organisation of the British and Indian Army in the sub-continent on the pretext of an interest in sport. Oh, the advantages of a crystal ball. He seems to have been VERY impressed anyway.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Count?

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby Ben Waterhouse » 04 Mar 2016 13:27

What an absolutely wonderful site you have, well done!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Peccavi
Ben Waterhouse

Return to The Edwardian & Immediate Pre-First World War Period 1901-14