vc photograph

For all discussions relating to British military and naval matters of the Edwardian and immediate pre-First World War period, 1901-1914.

vc photograph

Postby trooper » 24 Jun 2015 03:44

The 1st Btn The King's (Liverpool) Regt. gained 3 VCs during the Boer War and in 1902 all three recipients were photographed together. From left to right they are Sgt.s Knight, Hampton and Heaton. What is interesting is that all three wear different tunics. Knight has the five buttoned frock, Hampton the last full dress and Heaton the old jampot cuffed version. Possibly a unique photo, I do not recall ever seeing anything similar from other regiments. Trooper
Attachments
3 vcs.jpg
3 vcs.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 582 times
trooper
Veteran Member

Re: vc photograph

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Jun 2015 11:05

The quality of the photo is not brilliant, but isn't the sergeant at left wearing a Volunteer Battalion version of a full dress tunic rather than a frock, trooper? I seem to recall that the Austrian knot was worn on tunics. The 7-button frock tended to have flapped pockets in the skirts by 1902.
It's an interesting photo, thank you for posting it.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby trooper » 28 Jun 2015 17:46

I thought that too, Frogsmile, yet all reference indicates that all three were members of the 1st Btn. Trooper
trooper
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 30 Jun 2015 12:25

trooper wrote:I thought that too, Frogsmile, yet all reference indicates that all three were members of the 1st Btn. Trooper

All members of the 1st Battalion at the time of the VC awards, whcih seems to have been the whole focus, or 'story' of the piece, but clearly not so at the time the photograph was taken methinks. It is a VB cuff decoration.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The Edwardian & Immediate Pre-First World War Period 1901-14