Africa General Service Medal with N. Nigeria 1906 clasp

For all discussions relating to British military and naval matters of the Edwardian and immediate pre-First World War period, 1901-1914.

Africa General Service Medal with N. Nigeria 1906 clasp

Postby Rory » 16 Feb 2015 11:00

Hi everyone

I acquired an EDWARD VII African General Service Medal with clasp N. Nigeria 1906 to a Capt. Geo Peet of, wait for it, the I.L.H.! Now I know the I.L.H.to be a South African entity created for the Boer War and which went on to see service in the form of 2 battalions in WWI what I was unaware of is that the ILH (or at least Peet) saw service in a little known skirmish in West Africa at the same time that the Bambatha Rebellion was taking place on South African shores.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on the ILH (or Peet's) involvement in Nigeria? I would also appreciate a copy of the medal roll which Ancestry does not appear to have.

Regards

Rory
Rory

Re: Africa General Service Medal with N. Nigeria 1906 clasp

Postby ddycher » 07 Mar 2015 09:40

Rory

The 2nd Bn., North Nigerian Regt saw service on 16th ~ 24th April 1906 in the Hadeija Operations. I have an officer who was attached to them from the Dorset Regt. The AGSM w/ a North Nigeria clasp was awarded for this action. The history of the RWAFF details that a coy of MI was attached to this battalion for this action.

Hope this helps.

Edit : Went back and checked but no mention of a George Peet in the RWAFF history. Sorry.

Regards
Dave
ddycher

Re: Africa General Service Medal with N. Nigeria 1906 clasp

Postby ddycher » 16 Mar 2015 14:58

Rory

Following upon this.

The clasp was added for the Hadeija and Satiru operations. These did involve the 3rd Bn (Mounted Infantry) Northern Nigerian Regt. Reserves coming up from the South never got further than Zungeru which would imply that George Peet was attached to the 3rd Bn. However I can find no ref to him in any of the Army Lists I have.

Regards
Dave
ddycher

Return to The Edwardian & Immediate Pre-First World War Period 1901-14