Thomas Helsby HEWITT, b1876 unit NK served Sth Africa

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Thomas Helsby HEWITT, b1876 unit NK served Sth Africa

Postby Nikal Seyn » 22 Feb 2010 19:01

Hi all

I write enquiring if anyone wouuld be able to help me? I'm looking for the service history and regiment of a man who served in South Africa. We are certain he fought in the war but unfortunately that is all we know. His full name was Thomas Helsby Hewitt and he was born in 1876 in Chorlton, Manchester. I'm sorry we cannot offer more information but any help, advice or information would be most warmly appreciated.

Regards

Jonathan
"The punishment of Mutiny is Death" John Nicholson 1857.
Nikal Seyn

Re: Help needed to find a British Soldier

Postby SWB » 22 Feb 2010 23:13

Hello Jonathan,

Could he have died during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902)? Did he have any connections with Leicester(shire)?

The Register of the Anglo-Boer War (www.boerwarregister.com) has a record for a TH Hewitt, East Lancashire Rgt, from the Leicestershire memorial.

I have written a guide to researching Anglo-Boer War soldiers that may be helpful: http://www.casus-belli.co.uk/index.asp?PageId=137.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors