Abbreviations & terms that crop up in service records

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Re: Please help with service record

Postby Dannemois » 30 Sep 2013 11:10

Thanks guys
Dannemois

Help with rate/rank

Postby John Winner » 10 Dec 2013 05:20

I have not been able to find a good reference and I am trying to figure out the rank/rates of these four men from the Orlando that were awarded the China Medal 1900 with the Defense of Legations clasp. The first three are from H.M.S. Orlando. From what I can tell the rank/rates are:

"2 SBS" Fuller
"LgSig" Swannell
"Arm" Thomas
"Bug" Webb (I think this is Bugler, he is from the RMLI, Portsmouth Division)

Any help on these is appreciated

John
John Winner

Re: Help with rate/rank

Postby crimea1854 » 10 Dec 2013 08:39

2 SBS: 2nd Class Sick Berth Steward
LgSig: Leading Signalman
Arm: Armourer
Bug: Bugler

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby John Winner » 10 Dec 2013 14:40

Thank you, is there a good reference that can be used to look these types of rates up?

John
John Winner

Postby crimea1854 » 10 Dec 2013 15:21

John

For all things naval I would recommend the following site:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval.html

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby John Winner » 10 Dec 2013 15:27

I will have a look around.

Thanks

John
John Winner

Postby trooper » 11 Dec 2013 06:36

A source you may find useful is "Uniform Regulations for the Officers, Petty Officers and Seamen of the Fleet 1879" published by DP&G, PO Box 186, Doncaster, South Yorks, DN40HN, (website www.military-naval-history.co.uk) Although of a slightly earlier period there was very little change to naval uniforms and the bulk of the illustrations are relevant. Trooper
trooper
Veteran Member

Postby John Winner » 11 Dec 2013 09:24

My grandfather was a salty old dog and amateur naval historian so I called my grandmother and there was a copy in his library. I will have to go get it tomorrow and have a look, maybe some other gems in there as well. Thanks trooper.

John
John Winner

Re: Abbreviations & terms that crop up in service records

Postby Torquaypalm » 24 Jun 2014 11:10

Slightly off topic in that this not a query regarding a service record, rather it concerns an entry in the Army Births and Baptisms Register for two sons born in 1903 and 1907 to Sgt Edward Kerstein, RAMC. My query is the abbreviations A. H. & M. Cps. under the father's unit. I have his service papers from TNA, Kew and know that he served exclusively in the RAMC from enlistment in 1898 until his retirement in 1922.
I had thought A H & M Cps might mean 'Army Hospital & Medical Corps' but have been unable to find such a term listed anywhere, and I understand the term 'Army Hospital Corps' was obsolete long before 1903.
Attachments
Kerstein births.JPG
Kerstein births.JPG (12.44 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Torquaypalm

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Jun 2014 12:24

Torquaypalm wrote:Slightly off topic in that this not a query regarding a service record, rather it concerns an entry in the Army Births and Baptisms Register for two sons born in 1903 and 1907 to Sgt Edward Kerstein, RAMC. My query is the abbreviations A. H. & M. Cps. under the father's unit. I have his service papers from TNA, Kew and know that he served exclusively in the RAMC from enlistment in 1898 until his retirement in 1922.
I had thought A H & M Cps might mean 'Army Hospital & Medical Corps' but have been unable to find such a term listed anywhere, and I understand the term 'Army Hospital Corps' was obsolete long before 1903.

I strongly suspect that you have surmised correctly and that Sgt Kerstein's was mistakenly listed under the Army Hospital Corps, which after a confused period during the mid 1880s was retitled the Medical Staff Corps. This would be entirely commensurate with an ad hoc abbreviation of "A. H. & M. Cps".

Bearing in mind that the record was probably compiled and annotated by a civilian clerk with often outdated military knowledge, there could often be some variation in abbreviations used. In 1898 further changes took place and the title became Royal Army Medical Corps.

You can read about the changes in title, etc. here: http://www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/ahospc.html
Last edited by Frogsmile on 24 Jun 2014 15:47, edited 4 times in total.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Torquaypalm » 24 Jun 2014 15:22

Thanks for the prompt reply, Frogsmile. I'll follow up the link, too.
Torquaypalm

Abbreviations in UK Courts Martial Registers

Postby Kent Young » 21 Jan 2017 12:07

In the Judge Advocate General's Office: District Courts Martial Register (1834 - 1836) [pg 196] in the "Nature of Charge" column, the standard statement used for desertion looks to be "desert'n & los'g necess'" [Perhaps meaning "desertion and losing necessary" as that is all I can think of.] The last word could be entirely different. So my question is - was there a standard term for desertion used in these records, as it appears the same for most all desertion cases recorded on this particular page.
Thanks for any guidance on this.
Kent Young
Kent Young

Postby zerostate » 22 Jan 2017 03:22

The missing term is 'necessaries' I believe. Later in the period the term referred to items that were initially issued to soldiers' but then maintained at their expense (but required to be in their possession). Possibly that early, it might be erroneously (AFAIK - I will say this is based on memory, not on something I can reference) be referring to all issued uniform etc.

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Previous

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors