Pte C BROWNLOW, Cameron Highlanders, Sudan -> WWI?

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Pte C BROWNLOW, Cameron Highlanders, Sudan -> WWI?

Postby ashes » 26 May 2009 21:16

:?: Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, I recently acquired a set of medals. Firstly a set of Four: Sudan, Khedive's (two clasps), Q.S.A (Four clasps) & K.S.A (Two clasps) to a 2711 C BROWNLOW Pte 1CAM H'DRS .
I also acquired Three WWI medals (Trio) to 1495 C.J BROWNLOW Sjt 17th LOND.R. discharged 29/03/1916.
I was told this was the same man, by his grandson. Could he have re-enlisted for the first World War and been given a rank and new service number? He must have been quite a man to survive this amount of milatry service if it's true. I can't find anything on him.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. ashes.
ashes

Re: could this be right?

Postby QSAMIKE » 26 May 2009 22:46

Hello Ashes......

Yes it is possible, I have the following in my collection.....

SAMPSON, G.

REG. NO.: 3979
REGT: CAMERON HIGHLANDERS, 1st BATTALION
BARS: CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, JOHANNESBURG, DIAMOND HILL

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. QUEEN'S SUDAN MEDAL
2. KINGS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL, USUAL TWO BARS
3. 1914 - 1918 WAR MEDAL - 1390 PRIVATE G. SAMPSON, HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY.
4. INTERALLIED VICTORY MEDAL -1390 PRIVATE G. SAMPSON, HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY.
5. KHEDIVES SUDAN MEDAL - THE ATBARA

I then checked my medal rolls for the Sudan in 1898 as well as the South African war. I can confirm that Private G. SAMPSON's medals are correct with the clasp combination you give. However, during the Sudan campaign he served with 'F' Company ( O.C. Capt. B. C. Urquhart, who was KIA at the Atbara ), and during the South African War SAMPSON served with the Mounted Infantry ( 'M.I.' ) Company ( O.C. Capt. R. L. Adlercron, who was WIA on 24 July 1900 ).

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby siegebatteries » 27 May 2009 07:52

Definitely right. His "burnt" WWI records survive and are on Ancestry.

Charles John Brownlow, aged 34 and 10 months, of 6 Eglington Row, Bow, London, Shipworker Port of London Authority East India Dock, was attested for 4 years' service in the Territory Force - 17th (City of London) Battn - on 13 Feb 1913 and was prmoted sergeant 1 Sep 1913, embodied 5 Aug 1914 and discharged no longer physicallay fit for service 9 March 1916.

His attestation papers state he had served previously in Cameron Highlanders from 19 Nov 1991 to 18 Nov 1903 and there are some difficult-to-read notes about being in the Army Reserve until 29 Nov 1907. Finally, The papers state he served in Sudan 1898 and South africa 1900-2 and give his medal entitlement with clasps which matches the group you have.

I wonder if he joined the Home Guard - Remember Corporal Jones?

There's lots of other info in the papers and if you would like any more, do let me know

Peter
20th Foot in SA and Mauritius 1868-1872 / Ashantee War 1873-1874 /Imperial Yeomanry 1899-1902 / Royal Marine LI 1900/1908 / Royal Navy and the China Station 1908-1914
siegebatteries
Participating Member

Postby ashes » 27 May 2009 08:26

Many thanks Peter, this is what the internet is all about. I'm truely greatful to you for your time and effort as I had no ideal how to research this man. Anymore information however small would be very much appreciated as I'm trying to piece together his life. I will then take a trip to his grave and pay my respects (If I can locate it). As for the Home Guard I belive he tried to enlist but not sure if he got in, due to his discharge in france. I'm not sure if he was wounded out of service or shell shock. Again many thanks peter god bless you.
Kindest regards Mr M.C. Yandell. (ashes). :D
ashes

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors