Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby ARippin » 28 Jul 2017 18:15

I've recently located my Great Granfather's (Frederick Nash) service papers detailing his service with the 1st Bn Cheshire Regt in India.

However I'm struggling with the attached sentence (in red) next to 91 "Opium" accident - not on duty.......................?

I'm not sure it does say Opium so any other suggestions welcome.

As I've had to crop the page in order to upload it I've had to cut off the part where it says 'Inquiry held at Belgaum 24.4.91.

If it does say Opium, what is an 'opium accident' and has anyone heard this phrase before?

Many thanks in anticipation.


image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 101 times
ARippin
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 22:21
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Jul 2017 19:25

It was the 'opinion' (i.e. Finding) of the official board of enquiry that the injury was caused by an accident - not on duty. This latter clause was important in assessing the eligibility for any military pension. It is still a consideration when assessing liability today.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4968
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby ARippin » 28 Jul 2017 19:50

Frogsmile wrote:It was the 'opinion' (i.e. Finding) of the official board of enquiry that the injury was caused by an accident - not on duty. This latter clause was important in assessing the eligibility for any military pension. It is still a consideration when assessing liability today.


Brilliant.
As ever it always seems obvious when someone else points it out.
Thanks so much.
Obviously related to the entry above 'Blows in Rib Fall? Blistered ?'

Pleased it didn't turn out he was on opium!!
ARippin
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 22:21
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby ARippin » 28 Jul 2017 19:53

Any thoughts on the red writing underneath which looks to have been written at the same time?
ARippin
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 22:21
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Jul 2017 19:59

ARippin wrote:
Frogsmile wrote:It was the 'opinion' (i.e. Finding) of the official board of enquiry that the injury was caused by an accident - not on duty. This latter clause was important in assessing the eligibility for any military pension. It is still a consideration when assessing liability today.


Brilliant.
As ever it always seems obvious when someone else points it out.
Thanks so much.
Obviously related to the entry above 'Blows in Rib Fall? Blistered ?'

Pleased it didn't turn out he was on opium!!


'Blows to rib, fall, blistered'. The first part of what seems to be a description of the accident makes sense, but blistered implies application of severe heat or abrasion so I am not clear about the circumstances. Soldiers did (do) a lot of physical manhandling and there was no health and safety regulations beyond supervisors common sense. Also the War Office had what was called 'crown immunity' from any liability, although soldiers could get very basic disability pensions for any permanent injury sustained on duty, providing that a board of enquiry corroborated it, and a medical board confirmed the extent of any injury.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 28 Jul 2017 21:00, edited 2 times in total.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4968
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby ARippin » 28 Jul 2017 20:40

Thanks again.

No change to that of the present day army... they obviously didn't want any comeback at a future date!
ARippin
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 22:21
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Help reading "Opium" handwriting please

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Jul 2017 20:58

ARippin wrote:Thanks again.

No change to that of the present day army... they obviously didn't want any comeback at a future date!


Exactly! Plus ca change....
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4968
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England


Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest