John Lee - suggestions please.

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

John Lee - suggestions please.

Postby Ashbee » 17 May 2017 17:12

John Lee, (1864-1956, born Isleworth, Middlesex) gave this information about his army career in an interview in 1955, the year before he died aged 91:

*served six years with the Army horse transport (prior to 1887)
*Twice recalled to the colours and served throughout the Boer war and the 1914-18 war.
*One of his adventures in South Africa was being 'captured' by an Irish regiment which took him for a Boer spy and threatened to shoot him. He was without uniform after taking part in an arduous campaign and he lost his unit while on a secret cross-country march. After a month in a prisoner-of-war cage, however, his identity was established beyond doubt.

I've trawled online for John Lee's service records unsuccessfully. I know he was in London in 1899 when he married, and again for the 1901 census. In civilian life he had a long career with the LGOC as an omnibus driver (1895-1929)but in 1899 he is shown as a farrier on his marriage certificate and as a reservist in 1900 on his daughter's baptism entry. Can anyone throw some light on the 'facts' that I have and suggest where I might look next?

Thank you.
Ashbee

Re: John Lee - suggestions please.

Postby Waggoner » 18 May 2017 00:50

Have you looked at the Medal Index Cards on either the National Archives or Ancestry sites? They might provide some information about FWW service.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby crimea1854 » 18 May 2017 07:32

It might be worth a search of TfL's staff records:https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/assets/downloads/tflarchives_staffinformation.pdf

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Ashbee » 18 May 2017 20:34

Sorry, I thought I'd replied to you both but I clearly forgot to press 'post'. :oops:

John would have been around 50 in 1914 so I've been sceptical about any WW1 military service - is it possible at that age? To be honest the Medal cards don't offer enough info to be sure I've got the right a John Lee. I might be wrong...

I've looked at LT records several times without any luck, just the 1955 interview in the staff mag that I took the above details from. I wondered if he had taken part in the bus fleet that drove soldiers to the front but the LT museum couldn't help.

I do know his step son enlisted in the army in 1903, is it possible he might have joined a regiment that his step father had been part of, would that be a possible link?
Ashbee

Postby Waggoner » 18 May 2017 21:46

Given the initial information' I thiught that he might have served in the C&TC during the Egyptian campaigns in the 1880s. Howeverm Mark Reid's book "No Complaint or Failure" does not list him. There was a J.T. Lee but he was supply, not transport.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Ashbee » 19 May 2017 08:19

Well, thank you for looking anyway.
Ashbee

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors