Edward Harding 2/24 Isandlwana?

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Edward Harding 2/24 Isandlwana?

Postby Fossil Phil » 14 May 2017 01:33

Hi,

By chance I stumbled over a reference in the Dover Express to the funeral of Edward Harding, listed as a Zulu War veteran. The paper is dated the 26th July 1926. The cemetery is a stone's throw from my house and I would very much like to track down his grave if I can. To discover a forgotten Zulu War veteran's burial spot would be quite something for me. The reference in the paper states:

"The funeral took place on Wednesday, at St. Mary's Cemetery, of Mr Edward Harding, who died on July 18th, aged 74 years, late of the 2nd batt, 24th Regiment, South Wales Borderers, and one of the few survivors of the Zulu Campaign, where the 24th were completely destroyed in a surprise attack."

It then goes on to list who was present at the funeral. The implication seems to be he survived Isandlwana.

Has anyone here heard of him? I would be really appreciative of any help.

Many thanks,

Phil
Fossil Phil

Re: Edward Harding 2/24 Isandlwana?

Postby nthornton1979 » 14 May 2017 13:06

Hello Phil,

I replied to a post about this on social media yesterday after a member of your local group posted it to a Zulu War page. The post quoted you as saying:

I have discovered that a SURVIVOR of the battle of Isandlwana is buried right here in Dover. This was the battle against the Zulus on the 22nd January 1879 in which the British were caught and massacred in the hours before Rourke's [sic] Drift. There were very few survivors.

However, your man was not at iSandlwana when the camp was attacked. He would have been out chasing shadows with Lord C, as per my reply on the group page:

The article does not actually state that he was a survivor of the Battle of iSandlwana. The article merely says he survived the campaign. 944: Private E Harding, awarded South Africa Medal with clasp 1877-8-9; replacement medal issued 26/1/1925 (see Holme, The Noble 24th, p. 139)... As a member the 2nd Battalion Harding would have been out with Chelmsford when the camp was attacked. Only one company of the 2nd Battalion was present at iSandlwana when the Zulus attacked. This was Charlie Pope's G Coy (plus a number of other 'details'). None of them survived.

Hope this helps.
Neil
nthornton1979

Postby Fossil Phil » 14 May 2017 17:47

Hi Neil,

Thank you for replying to me so quickly and helpfully. I will try and locate the grave this week and get back to you if I am successful

Much appreciated,

Phil
Fossil Phil

Postby nthornton1979 » 14 May 2017 18:04

Cheers Phil, and good luck!

Neil
nthornton1979

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors