Edward Burke - Crimea Medal and Indian Rolls?

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Edward Burke - Crimea Medal and Indian Rolls?

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Apr 2017 18:35

I have a theory (a very long shot) that Irishman, Edward Burke, possibly served with the 18th Regt in the Crimea and later served with either, the HEIC's 101st or 104th Fusiliers. See: http://irishgarrisontowns.com/war-grave ... -official/

Can anyone help with medal roll look ups please?
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: Edward Burke - Crimea Medal and Indian Rolls?

Postby crimea1854 » 24 Apr 2017 19:02

There is a Michael and a Peter Burke on the Crimea Roll for the 18th, but no Edward I'm afraid.

There are five Edwards on the Mutiny Roll serving with the 27th, 53rd, 82nd, 61st and 17th Lancers. The available rolls exclude men in HEIC regiments.

Martin
Last edited by crimea1854 on 25 Apr 2017 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 24 Apr 2017 19:09

crimea1854 wrote:There is a Michael and a Peter Burke on the Crimea Roll for the 18th, but no Edward I'm afraid.

Martin

Thank you very much for taking the trouble Martin. We know that he is a self declared Crimea veteran and I am conscious that it is probably a fairly common name. I do not know how difficult such medal roll searches are but if it is possible to search other regiments without too much difficulty it would be interesting to learn which regiment Edward served with.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby crimea1854 » 25 Apr 2017 07:14

According to the rolls on Ancestry there were Edward Burkes' in the following regiments who served in the Crimea: 1st, 13th, 50th and 13th LD.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 25 Apr 2017 20:09

crimea1854 wrote:According to the rolls on Ancestry there were Edward Burkes' in the following regiments who served in the Crimea: 1st, 13th, 50th and 13th LD.

Martin

Thank you Martin, that is brilliant. Just need to somehow cross-reference that with Edward Burkes who received the Indian Mutiny medal with either, the 101st, or 104th (both Bengal) Fusiliers.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 26 Apr 2017 14:45

Frogsmile wrote:
crimea1854 wrote:According to the rolls on Ancestry there were Edward Burkes' in the following regiments who served in the Crimea: 1st, 13th, 50th and 13th LD.

Martin

Thank you Martin, that is brilliant. Just need to somehow cross-reference that with Edward Burkes who received the Indian Mutiny medal with either, the 101st, or 104th (both Bengal) Fusiliers.

Hi! So far, these are the only Edward Burkes showing up for me on a list of India Medal Roll names. Not sure if any of these could be your man. :)

Burke Edward 82 F Private
Burke Edward 17 L Private
Burke Edward 27 F Sergeant
Burke Edward 84 F Private
Burke Edward 61 F Private
Burke Edward 81 F Private
Burke Edward 53 F Private
Burke Edward 1/13 F Private
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Frogsmile » 26 Apr 2017 17:52

BingandNelsonFan wrote:
Frogsmile wrote:

Martin

Hi! So far, these are the only Edward Burkes showing up for me on a list of India Medal Roll names. Not sure if any of these could be your man. :)

Burke Edward 82 F Private
Burke Edward 17 L Private
Burke Edward 27 F Sergeant
Burke Edward 84 F Private
Burke Edward 61 F Private
Burke Edward 81 F Private
Burke Edward 53 F Private
Burke Edward 1/13 F Private

That's really helpful Sarah, thank you. It seems that if the theory holds true the very last listed, 1st/13th Edward Burke, could be the man I seek.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 26 Apr 2017 20:48

Hi, Frogsmile!

Glad that is helpful. I have never really done any medal role look-ups, so don't understand too much about this. However, I'm game to look up anything that might be helpful. I've got World subscriptions to the two big sites and access to others, so I might be able to look at something else for you.

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Frogsmile » 26 Apr 2017 20:58

BingandNelsonFan wrote:Hi, Frogsmile!

Glad that is helpful. I have never really done any medal role look-ups, so don't understand too much about this. However, I'm game to look up anything that might be helpful. I've got World subscriptions to the two big sites and access to others, so I might be able to look at something else for you.

Regards,
Sarah

Thank you Sarah, it's in relation to the Edward Burke whose gravestone appears in the 'Irish Garrisons Towns' Website Blog that I linked in the initial post above. All his sons killed in WW1. A tragic story, I thought, given his life of service. His regiment was not clear so this process of elimination seems to be tracking him down, assuming his story is accurate.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors