Midshipman Henry Thomas Garsite Tipping.

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Midshipman Henry Thomas Garsite Tipping.

Postby Josh&Historyland » 22 Jan 2018 15:09

Any ideas of how I might trace the background of Midshipman Henry Thomas Garsite Tipping (HMS Victory/Euryalus during the 1860's)?

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Re: Midshipman Henry Thomas Garsite Tipping.

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 22 Jan 2018 19:41

It's this gent, right?
http://www.merseysiderollofhonour.co.uk/get2.php?cwgc=1640658

Are you looking, particularly, for his time on the HMS Victory/Euryalus? I can try looking it up in the old newspapers. Just let me know what time period or type of results you're hoping for. :)

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Josh&Historyland » 22 Jan 2018 20:29

It's the same name, and seems about the right age range, yet there's nothing to suggest he is my chap except for his name. All I know about my chap is that he was a midshipman on HMS Euryalus in 1863 during the bombardment of Kagoshima, Japan, and served beforehand on Victory. I'm looking for his date of birth/origins and education, service record up to 1863 etc. That's the hope anyway.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 22 Jan 2018 20:50

Here is one quick result from his appointment to the Euryalus. I think it's going to be the same gent as seen on that webpage.

If you're in the position to pay £3.50 for his Admiralty records, then I think this would be worth a try. I've gotten some records from this Admiralty collection, and they've always been quite good.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7588857

That said, I'm going to continue looking in some more papers. I'll let you know what else turns up --- you would think that someone will mention his early career.

Sarah
Attachments
Tipping, HTG to the Euryalus London Evening Standard 25 Jan 1862 page 6.JPG
Tipping, HTG to the Euryalus London Evening Standard 25 Jan 1862 page 6.JPG (65.81 KiB) Viewed 158 times
BingandNelsonFan

Postby crimea1854 » 22 Jan 2018 21:14

Short of downloading his service history from the National Archives (for a small fee or 'free' if you have sub to FMP) you can piece together his service history from the Navy List, however, because a Cadet is not commissioned, his early career will not be there. It looks as if his first appointment as an officer was to HMS Doris, when he was appointed Sub.Lt(act) in 1867.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 22 Jan 2018 23:28

I've been sitting here going through newspapers, but I really think that there was only one Henry Thomas Garsite Tipping in the Royal Navy. I can't see that there were two of them, so I'd be comfortable in thinking that your young Midshipman is going to be the same gent dying in WWI. Other than getting the Admiralty records for him, I don't think you'll find a straight list of his ships, though, because all of the obituaries for him were more concerned with his age than with his career. :)
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Josh&Historyland » 23 Jan 2018 16:08

Thanks for the effort Bing&Nelson, and the advice Crimea: I take it midshipmen in this period were still not properly counted as officers, like in the Napoleonic Wars they were in limbo but treated as officers because they were theoretically gentlemen. It does seem that the webpage is our man. It's a distinctive name after all. With so many names at play there can't be too many men around with the right Birthday. Though it would be interesting to see his record, I have a reader card for the National Archvies so surely I could see it for free, my principle objective was to see where he came from and what age he would be in 1863. All else is a bonus.

By all means if anyone finds out more, do please let me know (this is for my book). Thanks again.

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 24 Jan 2018 00:39

Sadly, Midshipman are rather lost. This period is so exasperating, because you think you should find something and then there is nothing. I've got a Midshipman of my own that I've been researching. He was in the RN during the 1840s. Sadly, he had to resign from the Navy due to a loss of hearing, but there are no records whatsoever, since he was just on the verge of Lieutenancy.
. . . Thankfully, I've just gotten copies of what must be every letter he wrote home to his Mother during his Navy years, and it's filling in every detail!

Hope you are able to see the records, and if you find out for sure that it's your man, let me know. :)
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby crimea1854 » 24 Jan 2018 08:29

If you have a readers ticket and can get to the national Archives order the following muster book, this should have details of all the crew, including officers and midshipmen:http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C769384. Certainly for the ordinary members of the crew it will include when the man signed on and when he was paid off, together with place of birth and physical description. Sometimes the information on the officers is not quite so full and as usual midshipmen can fall into either category.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 24 Jan 2018 18:03

Wow! I didn't know you could see the muster books at the National Archives! Wish I lived in the UK. :) Thanks for the link and the info! The little Midshipman I'm working on was in from 1848-51. He served on the Prince Regent, the Victory and the Bellerophon. Do you think all of those would be at the NA?
BingandNelsonFan

Postby crimea1854 » 24 Jan 2018 23:16

Sarah

There are a number of different muster books for ships of this period, but generally the most informative have the suffix 'D' in the catalogue. This is short for 'Description', and I have found these to be the most useful for establishing a mans physical appearance as well as place of birth and service history. For Prince Regent you would need http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C771601 and I'm almost certain that one will exist for Bellerophon, however, HMS Victory was more an accommodation ship for accounting purposes, so I suspect no such book will exist - but I could be wrong!

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 26 Jan 2018 00:51

crimea1854 wrote:Sarah

There are a number of different muster books for ships of this period, but generally the most informative have the suffix 'D' in the catalogue. This is short for 'Description', and I have found these to be the most useful for establishing a mans physical appearance as well as place of birth and service history. For Prince Regent you would need http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C771601 and I'm almost certain that one will exist for Bellerophon, however, HMS Victory was more an accommodation ship for accounting purposes, so I suspect no such book will exist - but I could be wrong!

Martin

Hi, Martin! Thanks for the info! I will file this, in case I know someone who goes to the NA. A physical description would be really cool to hear, particularly of the little gent when he was on the Prince Regent. That's interesting about the Victory. I don't think that he was on there for very long. Most of his time was split between the Regent and Bellerophon.

Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors