Town / City Identification

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Re: Town / City Identification

Postby rclpillinger » 29 May 2017 15:06

RobD that is a superb response and helps a great deal. Yes, there are definitely two "A"s in Centraal.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby RobD » 29 May 2017 16:50

Can you post a very high resolution scan of the title of the Centraal Bureau building?
I think I can see another short word after Bureau...
RobD

Postby rclpillinger » 29 May 2017 21:30

RobD

There is another, I think four letter word following the "Bureau" but I can't make out what it says. I am working from a photo of the original picture as, before I deposited the album with the restorer, I photographed all the pictures, and my copy might not be as clear as the original.

I have to see the restorer early this week to agree the work that needs to be done so I shall look at the picture and see if I can read it.

In the meantime, may I make use of your obvious knowledge of the area and post a couple more of the landmark pictures?

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby RobD » 31 May 2017 18:11

Richard; I wonder if the 4-letter word could be ZARP?

Sure, post any pics here - or PM me - and I'll do my level best.

I should confess that there are better experts than me on this forum, though; and I know a few in South Africa who are even more expert; and among the staff of the War Museum of the Boer Republics in Bloemfontein you will find the best expertise of all. I know one of the curators, so that's an option if VWF fails.

Rob
RobD

Postby rclpillinger » 01 Jun 2017 09:28

Rob the last four letters on the building name are O.Y.S.S.

They are very clear from the original pic under a magnifying glass. I shall post another couple of images this evening if I have time. Contact with the museum in Bloemfontein might be very useful.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby crimea1854 » 01 Jun 2017 14:09

Could the 'Y' in fact be a 'V' - Oranje Vrijstaat ?? / Orange Free State ??.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby RobD » 01 Jun 2017 18:48

OVS certainly fits!
PM sent, Richard
RobD

Postby rclpillinger » 01 Jun 2017 22:21

Rob, the PM is very useful thankyou . I shall be in touch with them over the weekend. I have about 300 pics. from the South Africa war on my website already, and their help will be so beneficial in identifying several of the places that I have no idea about.

Orange Freestate would certainly fit, but does it help identify the site, and would this make the picture date to the latter part of the conflict. My Grandfather was one of only a very few in the Tenth to serve the whole of the war uninterrupted by disease, so the picture could have been taken at any time between December 1899 and May 1902.

Here, also is the last of the clear landmarks in the album.

Richard
Attachments
SA 4.JPG
SA 4.JPG (97.32 KiB) Viewed 81 times
rclpillinger

Postby crimea1854 » 01 Jun 2017 22:39

The above photograph is the Old Town Hall, Pietermaritzburg. Given the likely date of the photograph, I suspect it is undergoing reconstruction following a fire in 1895.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby rclpillinger » 11 Oct 2017 20:22

Found it!

It is the Centraal Bureau in Bloemfontein.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=centraal+bureau+orange+free+state&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwishYOQpOnWAhWGORoKHbaODK0QsAQINw&biw=1920&bih=932#imgrc=YYTY2OAWJsV-jM:&spf=1507749385673

Just putting together a provenance page to insert in the restored album before it goes back to the museum, so as the pictures in it will have some meaning in another 150 years.

Thanks Rob and others for your help.

Richard
rclpillinger

Previous

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors