Pathan Rising

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

Pathan Rising

Postby ragbones » 13 Jan 2017 22:11

I just started reading [b][i]Pathan Rising[b][i] by our esteemed founder, Mark Simner. I'm only in the third chapter, Destruction in the Tochi Valley, but I have to say what a terrific read it is. I'm especially enjoying the detailed descriptions of the fights and the care Mark is taking to acknowledge both the contributions of and sacrifices by Britain's Indian allies. Snippets of detail like the use by a British officer of the butt of a Martini-Henry rifle and then the [i]Pagri[i] covered end of a Sowar's lance to ram charges down the barrel of a mountain gun are wonderful. If you're interested in the NWF or Colonial military action this book is highly recommended! Well done, Mark.
ragbones

Re: Pathan Rising

Postby Mark » 17 Jan 2017 10:03

Thank you for your very kind words, ragbones! I am glad to hear you are enjoying my book :D

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Poltroon » 21 Jan 2017 10:46

I would like to add my congratulations to Mark as well for a job well done. I finished the book a while ago and found it to be a highly detailed account of the action on the North-West frontier. The battle scenes are covered in great detail and the amount of information shows how much research went into constructing the book. Anyone interested in this subject or region would definitely benefit from reading this book.
Looking forward to your next book on the Sirdar and the Khalifa.

Billy
Poltroon

Postby Mark » 23 Jan 2017 10:04

Thanks, Billy! Most kind :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jonc@adelaide.on.net » 03 Mar 2017 06:28

I too would like to add my congratulations -as an owner of an IGS to one of the casualties at Maizar and several to Malakand recipients I have a more than passing interest in the campaigns Mark covers. Pathan Rising gives a good overview of the various campaigns plus detailed accounts that prevent Pathan Rising from being a dry history.

It also is a handsomely produced volume.

Well done that man!

Jon
jonc@adelaide.on.net

Postby Mark » 03 Mar 2017 10:40

Thanks, Jon! Really glad you like my book. If you ever fancy writing a review please do :wink:

Chitral 1895: An Episode of the Great Game is out in July this year. You may also find it of interest.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901