56th Regiment Bengal Natiove infantry

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

56th Regiment Bengal Natiove infantry

Postby acanthus » 10 Jul 2015 22:12

I am led believe this regiment was involved in punitive expeditions against Mohmand tribes on the North-West frontier at some stage between 1850 and 1852.

Can anybody help with specific information that will either prove or dis-prove their involvement in such expeditions?

If they were involved, I would be grateful know the date of the expedition and the other regiments that were involved.

Thanks in advance.
acanthus

Re: 56th Regiment Bengal Natiove infantry

Postby jonc@adelaide.on.net » 11 Jul 2015 01:21

I can't find any reference to this unit in campaigns against the Mohmands for this period as detailed in "Frontier and Overseas Expeditions from India" Vol I Tribes - North of the Kabul River. The non Piffer Native. Infantry Regiments listed include the 66 Gurkhas and the 71 st NI (latter mutinied at Lucknow in 1857)

Something I learnt from reading the relevant section, was that in this period , Bengal Light Cavalry Regiments, unlike Ordinary and Irregular units used infantry designations for their native officers

Always something new to learn

Jonc
jonc@adelaide.on.net

Postby Maureene » 12 Jul 2015 01:34

Campaigns on the North-West Frontier by Capt HL Nevill, has a chapter “Before the Mutiny” which lists the Regiments involved in the various actions.
http://www.archive.org/stream/campaigns ... 4/mode/2up
I could not see the 56th Regiment Bengal Native infantry mentioned.

They are not mentioned in the Appendix at the end of the book
https://archive.org/stream/campaignsonn ... 8/mode/2up

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby acanthus » 12 Jul 2015 03:51

Many thanks Jonc and Maureen,

I must say that I came up with much the same results, which only goes to prove that you can't always take the written word as being correct,
acanthus

Postby Frogsmile » 15 Jul 2015 12:20

The 56th are also not listed among the BNI regiments that earned the Northwest Frontier honour/accreditation in the seminal, published work - 'Battle Honours of the British and Commonwealth Armies' by Anthony Baker.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby acanthus » 17 Jul 2015 23:40

Frogsmile wrote:The 56th are also not listed among the BNI regiments that earned the Northwest Frontier honour/accreditation in the seminal, published work - 'Battle Honours of the British and Commonwealth Armies' by Anthony Baker.

Thanks for yet another confirmation on the 56th BNI; having the correct information is always a big advantage when one is trying to write on a particular subject. Not the first time I've found mistakes in past publications.
acanthus

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901