Command structure in the cantonments

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

Command structure in the cantonments

Postby ddycher » 07 Mar 2015 01:58

All

Stupidly last time I was in the UK at the British library I was tracking a number of officers through the Punjab cantonments without recording down where they fit in the command structure. Does anyone know how the individual cantonments were commanded ?

Regards
Dave
ddycher

Re: Command structure in the cantonments

Postby Maureene » 08 Mar 2015 08:17

With smaller cantonments, I get the impression that the most senior officer of the regiments stationed there at any one time, was in charge of the cantonment as a whole. However, I can't give you a reference.

It may have been different at larger cantonments, but I don't know.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Re: Command structure in the cantonments

Postby Frogsmile » 08 Mar 2015 20:22

I am not sure when the practice began but a system of Cantonment Staff was eventually set up, invariably made up of officers on half pay. It was small and usually comprised a commandant, a deputy, an adjutant and a quartermaster, all supported by an army of 'babus' and 'munshies' (Indian clerks). The idea was that the fighting troops could be deployed, but still leave behind a functioning administration until they returned. Defence was usually the responsibility of the deployed unit's rear-parties.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901