Colours of Puggarees and Turbans-Corps of Guides

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

Colours of Puggarees and Turbans-Corps of Guides

Postby fcoffman » 27 Feb 2017 19:08

I am working on a fictional story that concerns The Queen's Own Corps of Guides, Punjab Frontier Force. I know the Guides were the first to wear the khaki, but I'm interested in finding specifics on the pattern and colors of the officer's puggarees and the turbans (pukris?) of the native soldiers. All the illustrations I've seen show an intricate pattern of light blue and gold (yellow?). Are there any extant photos or specifics on the pattern of these? Thanks, Frank Coffman
fcoffman

Re: Colours of Puggarees and Turbans-Corps of Guides

Postby jf42 » 27 Feb 2017 21:59

The answer you seek would depend on what date your story is set. Your refer to the "Queen's Own Corps of Guides, Punjab Frontier Force"- a title granted in 1876. Is your story set during the last 25 years of the C19th ?
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby acanthus » 27 Feb 2017 23:18

This is a very interesting subject, and in all possibility my not have a specific answer for the earlier periods however, as a rule British officers of the Guides did not wear Indian style review order uniform.

As for the actual description (and colours) of the helmet puggaree, I consider that the British officers wore the Indian officers turban material with 'gold' bars indicative of rank.

Circa 1900, for Indian officers of Guides Cavalry, the 'Puggri' was described as " Blue Peshawar Loongee" with Gold bars; I believe this is what British officers used on their helmets; and in all possibility would have been adhered to in earlier years.

Best try and get a good photo of an Indian officer of the Guides and a good photo of a British officer of the Guides with his helmet, and a colour painting and try to work out the arrangement of colour srtipes and gold bars.
acanthus

Postby acanthus » 28 Feb 2017 00:25

acanthus wrote:This is a very interesting subject, and in all possibility may not have a specific answer for the earlier periods however, as a rule British officers of the Guides did not wear Indian style review order uniform.

As for the actual description (and colours) of the helmet puggaree, I consider that the British officers wore the Indian officers turban material with 'gold' bars indicative of rank.

Circa 1900, for Indian officers of Guides Cavalry, the 'Puggri' was described as " Blue Peshawar Loongee" with Gold bars; I believe this is what British officers used on their helmets; and in all possibility would have been adhered to in earlier years.

Best try and get a good photo of an Indian officer of the Guides and a good photo of a British officer of the Guides with his helmet, and a colour painting and try to work out the arrangement of colour srtipes and gold bars.

Spelling correction and in terms of possible? changes, I also meant to mention that their title as Corps of Guides came under the heading of Punjab Irregular Force until 1865, after which they came under the heading of Punjab Frontier Force as the Corps of Guides; this remained current until March 1876, when their title changed to Corps of Guides (Queens Own), but still under the heading of Punjab Frontier Force.

There is a photo of Wigram Battye in Shadbolts history of the Afghan War; you can see the arrangement of stripes and gold bars on the end of his turban hanging down over his left shoulder; working out specific colours will be difficult.
acanthus

Postby fcoffman » 28 Feb 2017 18:24

jf42 wrote:The answer you seek would depend on what date your story is set. Your refer to the "Queen's Own Corps of Guides, Punjab Frontier Force"- a title granted in 1876. Is your story set during the last 25 years of the C19th ?

yes in 1896, before the actions at Malakand and Chakdara in '97.
fcoffman

Postby fcoffman » 28 Feb 2017 18:50

acanthus wrote:
acanthus wrote:This is a very interesting subject, and in all possibility may not have a specific answer for the earlier periods however, as a rule British officers of the Guides did not wear Indian style review order uniform.

Spelling correction and in terms of possible? changes, I also meant to mention that their title as Corps of Guides came under the heading of Punjab Irregular Force until 1865, after which they came under the heading of Punjab Frontier Force as the Corps of Guides; this remained current until March 1876, when their title changed to Corps of Guides (Queens Own), but still under the heading of Punjab Frontier Force.

There is a photo of Wigram Battye in Shadbolts history of the Afghan War; you can see the arrangement of stripes and gold bars on the end of his turban hanging down over his left shoulder; working out specific colours will be difficult.

THANKS MUCH for these suggestions. I'll see what can find on the Blue Peshawar Longee. And I'll see if I can locate a copy of Shadbolt. -- Frank
fcoffman

Postby acanthus » 28 Feb 2017 19:03

Frank,
Photos of the British officers of the Guides taken in the field during the Afghan War show some of their helmets with what appears to be a plain puggarees however, others seem to have stripes even though the puggarees are of a similar width.

The white foreign service helmet with the broad regimental puggaree (which we would all like to own), was generally (in my view) worn with full dress.

Given your time period, the description Blue Peshawar Loongee with gold bars is absolutely correct for Indian officers and non commissioned officer, and in my view, would also be correct if you wanted to illustrate a British officer wearing a broad regiment puggaree on his helmet. The men wore a Khaki Puggaree with Khaki fringe. Native Officers of Infantry wore a Khaki puggaree with gold bars and gold fringe.
acanthus

Postby fcoffman » 20 Mar 2017 01:25

Also thanks much. I've found an illustration of a British Guides officer with a puggaree of light blue and gold patterning. Also one of a native with turban of the same sort of coloring SEE:
.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guides_Cavalry
https://20th-praetorian.blogspot.com/20 ... uides.html
https://yooniqimages.com/images/detail/ ... greensmith
and
https://www.pinterest.com/Stratford39/i ... -uniforms/
fcoffman

Postby Frogsmile » 21 Mar 2017 23:50

There are good images here under the Guides entry: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/a ... niform.htm
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901