Naval Brigade Query

For all discussions relating to the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81.

Naval Brigade Query

Postby steampunk » 07 May 2011 01:06

My great grandfather Henry Richard Smith was a Signalman 1st Class onboard HMS Boadicea during 1881. And I've obtained a copy of his service papers from the national archive at Kew.
Presumably if he had been involved in the Naval Brigade this would have been recorded something along the lines of :

"xyz date - disembarked Naval Brigade " and then later shown as having rejoined the Boadicea in July 1881.

As it is there are no such entries and, given that he was a Signalman 1st class, I'm guessing that he would have been more likely to have remained on board as part of the skeleton crew as there would still have been an ongoing need for communications even though they weren't actually at sea.

Interestingly he was previously aboard HMS Flora which of course contributed 2 officers but no men to the Naval Brigade.
steampunk

Re: Naval Brigade Query

Postby DavidB » 07 May 2011 13:52

Presumably if he had been involved in the Naval Brigade this would have been recorded something along the lines of :
"xyz date - disembarked Naval Brigade " and then later shown as having rejoined the Boadicea in July 1881.

Sadly I don't think you can make that assumption. Even serving ashore, he'd still be assigned to the Boadicea

In the Ashantee war, for example, I know of some who without doubt served ashore in the Naval Brigade, but this isn't explicitly noted in their records.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby exilesjjb » 16 Jun 2011 04:36

does anyone have a medal roll from the transvaal war as i am trying to see if Gunner John Carroll (who was in the Zulu war) returned to South Africa for this conflict. I know he did not pick up his zulu medal due to desertion, and am trying to narrow down where/when this occured

Cheers James
exilesjjb

Postby Isandlwana » 16 Jun 2011 07:35

James,

There were no medals issued for the 1st Anglo-Boer War 1880-81, otherwise known as the Transvaal War of Independence, so there is no medal roll, I'm afraid.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby exilesjjb » 16 Jun 2011 15:16

Dam was just a long shot, I have a picture that was with the diary and thought maybe it could be from the transvaal
exilesjjb

Postby Isandlwana » 16 Jun 2011 18:49

James,

I hazard a guess and say Middle East/Turkish theatre of operations in the Great War. Certainly not Victorian the bandolier is the giveaway there, I'm afraid.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby exilesjjb » 16 Jun 2011 23:38

his youngest brother served in the great war so that could be an option, cheers for the help
exilesjjb

Return to Transvaal Rebellion 1880-81