16th in Transvaal?

For all discussions relating to the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81.

16th in Transvaal?

Postby robinpimlott » 28 Jul 2010 14:57

Through circumstantial evidence I believe my GG Grandfather, John Sumner 1850, was in the 16th/Bedfordshire Regiment.

My Grandmother told me that he eventually died through cancer of the face caused by a vergris bullet wound he received in the Boer War, which never healed. Now he's just too old to have taken part in the second Beor War which leaves the First. The only problem with this is the Beds. didn't serve in this war and I can find no campaigns that they did serve in durimng this period. The regiment sarcastically being known as the Peace Makers for their lack of combat.

My question therefore is, could he have transfered to another regiment during the rebellion or was there any action in India where he appears to have been prior to the rebellion as he has a daughter born in the East Indies in 1877.

Any help or info would be appreciated.
robinpimlott

Re: 16th in Transvaal?

Postby SWB » 28 Jul 2010 17:01

Have you tried for service papers?

The Research thread has an article on where to look.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby DavidB » 28 Jul 2010 19:37

You have to treat family stories with a healthy dose of skepticism until something can be proven. So put the story on one side and start with what you know (facts, facts, facts :) )

Certainly look for a service record as Meurig suggests.
If no joy, then look for him in the census, if nothing else to help bracket his likely service dates.
Marriage, other children's births? All will help tell fix his service dates and possibly confirm his unit.

East Indies 1877 suggests the 2nd Btn of the 16th, who were in Madras. (1st Btn were in Ireland)
They didn't serve in any wars prior to the 2nd Boer War, you're correct there. Saw no action in India.
It's perfectly possible he transferred regiments at some point, but all just speculation for now. :)
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Socorro » 23 Apr 2012 12:36

I think is is better to apply to have enough information into the state archive and to find some information there. It would be better than to ask someone through the forum.
Socorro

Return to Transvaal Rebellion 1880-81