6th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

For all discussions relating to the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81.

6th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

Postby pops » 18 Feb 2010 20:24

Hi list ... I am a new member ..... one of my ancesters joined the 6th in 1880 at Norwich, and shortly after joined the regiment in South Africa (Jan 1881) ..... his service record shows he served at Bennits Drift and Princetown, can any one tell me where these places are ???

Also he was with the regiment in Zululand in 1884, what roll would they have while there ???

Many thanks for any help you can provide ..... Peter Hammett in UK
pops

Re: 6th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

Postby DavidB » 18 Feb 2010 23:17

Hi Peter,
I just wanted to make the point that the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons is the regiment you're interested in.
Don't confuse with the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers), a totally different regiment.
If you've been googling for info on the 6DG for example, then it'll be misleading. :D

Re 1884-85, search for Bechuanaland, the Warren expedition or somesuch. 6th Dragoons were involved.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby pops » 19 Feb 2010 10:48

Many thanks for info on Warren Exp. ........ new news for me so will take a look at Google ... again many thanks ..... Pops
pops

Postby Peter Ewart » 19 Feb 2010 23:12

Peter

The 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons were the (only) cavalry component of the Natal garrison between 1881 and 1890, stationed at Fort Napier, Pietermaritzburg. For a couple of years in the middle of this period the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were also part of the same garrison. A detachment of 6ID crossed from Natal into Zululand in Dec 1882 and in Jan 1883 formed the main part of the British military force which accompanied Cetshwayo back into Zululand on his restoration, then returned to Natal. A squadron of the Inniskillings returned to the "Reserve Territory" of Zululand in Sep 1883 as part of a British column reacting to the outbreak of the Zulu civil war. They remained in this part (the area of John Dunn's jurisdiction) until after Cetshwayo's death and the Battle of Tshaneni in 1884. A detachment was sent to Fort Northampton in August after a uSuthu raid in that area (just across the river from Rorke's Drift, i.e. inside Zululand ). During the uSuthu "rebellion" of 1887/88, at least one squadron of Inniskillings was maintained in central Zululand, and took part in the Battle of Ceza in June. By the time of the Battle of Hlophekhulu in July, at least two full squadrons of the regiment were in that area, one taking part in the engagement. By the end of the "rebellion" there were four squadrons, all in different parts of Zululand, but by early Nov 1888 these had been reduced to just one Inniskilling squadron inside Zululand.

Hope this fills in a bit of background on your chap's role in Zululand in and around 1884.

Peter
Peter Ewart
Participating Member

Postby Clover » 22 Mar 2010 15:21

Sounds like this solider was my great grand uncle! We must be related.....

These two regiments were indeed very different, have another ancestor in the other regiment.
Clover

Postby sstiles » 14 Aug 2010 20:11

Thank you for the interesting comments from Peter Ewart. The picture is of my great great grandfather J T (Tom) Lewis who was a farrier-sergeant in the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. He served in Bechuanaland and Zululand during the 1880s. The picture was taken at Pietmaritzburg. As a matter of interest where would I be likely to find his service records?

Regards

Stewart Stiles
South Africa

Tom Lewis Pic Farrier Sgt 6 ID.jpg
Tom Lewis Pic Farrier Sgt 6 ID.jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
Last edited by sstiles on 14 Aug 2010 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
sstiles

Postby sstiles » 14 Aug 2010 20:25

With reference to Peter's (pops) query on places:

Bennett's Drift is near Newcastle, Natal - not too far from Pietermaritzburg (Fort Napier). Although relevant to 1st Boer War this link might be of interest http://www.up.ac.za/dspace/bitstream/22 ... 50-299.pdf

I cannot find anything on Princetown in South Africa yet.

Regards

Stewart
sstiles

Postby petmas » 21 Jun 2011 09:21

Does anyone know where I can find a nominal roll or service records for 6 IDG? I am trying to confirm my GFs service. He is on the UK 1881 census but then nothing until 1895 when he marries. His enlistment into the Royal Defence Corps shows 6IDG as previous service and family stories mention SA & NW Frontier.His name was George Packer, b Marylebone 1861 although he later adopts the middle name Arthur and changes his birth date to 1866, Thanks Pete
Last edited by petmas on 22 Jun 2011 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
petmas

Postby Jonathan » 22 Jun 2011 01:44

Just to reiterate what was said above--the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons and the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) were two separate regiments.
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby nedmalet » 27 Dec 2011 16:37

I am trying to track down my 2x great uncle Charles Edward Malet de Carteret - from his obituary in the Jersey Evening Post it says that he went to Sandhurst in 1886 or 1888? from Oxford Military College - where he passed out first in the line of cadets (?).

It says he went on to serve with the Inniskilling Dragoons in South Africa - Bechuanaland/Natal/Zululand

I cannot find anything in the Sandhurst Register - and have not been able to track him down in the Inniskilling Dragoon Guards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
nedmalet

Postby Maureene » 28 Dec 2011 10:36

Hi

Assuming that Charles Edward Malet de Carteret was an officer, you should find reference to him in one of the Army Lists.
The FIBIS Fibiwiki has a page “Military periodicals online”, where there are links to the New Annual Army List for a broken range of dates to 1904
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=M ... _Army_List

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby swordcollector1 » 28 Dec 2011 13:26

nedmalet wrote:I am trying to track down my 2x great uncle Charles Edward Malet de Carteret - from his obituary in the Jersey Evening Post it says that he went to Sandhurst in 1886 or 1888? from Oxford Military College - where he passed out first in the line of cadets (?).

It says he went on to serve with the Inniskilling Dragoons in South Africa - Bechuanaland/Natal/Zululand

I cannot find anything in the Sandhurst Register - and have not been able to track him down in the Inniskilling Dragoon Guards?

He's in the 1889 Army List as a 2nd Lieutenant (Feb 1888) in the 6th Dragoons, and shows in the 1897 List as being in the Channel Islands Militia as "Militia Aide-de-Camp to the Governor". Make sure in your research you're not mixing up the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) with the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons, as they're two different regiments, the Carabiniers being the more senior. The online London Gazette can be used to track promotion dates.

Good luck!

John
swordcollector1

Postby nedmalet » 29 Dec 2011 10:02

John

Many thanks indeed, so does that mean he was in the Carbiniers?

The obit states Inniskilling Dragoons- as they were in South Africa

kind regards

Ned
nedmalet

Postby swordcollector1 » 29 Dec 2011 10:45

nedmalet wrote:Many thanks indeed, so does that mean he was in the Carbiniers?

The obit states Inniskilling Dragoons- as they were in South Africa

Hi Ned,

No, he was in the 6th Dragoons (ie the Inniskillings, as your obit states), rather than the 6th Dragoon Guards, who were the Carabiniers.

Hope this clarifies!

John
swordcollector1

Postby pumlumon » 07 Jan 2012 15:01

Requesting information on Frederick Harvey, a Sergeant in the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons, ex Brighton Barracks and stationed in Natal during the 1880's. He was from County Donegal. My grandfather, Alfred Harvey, was born in a British Army Transit Camp in Pinetown, Durban, in 1884.
Having just discovered this incredible website, information on the activities of this cavalry unit in Natal, seems quite likely to materialise!!
Given that I only have his name, some dates and not his service number, how can I proceed to locate any regimental documentation?
Peter (Harvey)
pumlumon

Return to Transvaal Rebellion 1880-81