7th Hussars Movements

For all discussions relating to the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81.

7th Hussars Movements

Postby colenso » 01 Dec 2009 21:37

I am looking for some assistance into the roll of the 7th Hussars during the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81. I have checked several accounts, but the 7th seem to get little or no mention in any of them. I would gratefull of any help as to their movements during this period.

kind regards

colenso
colenso
Participating Member

Re: 7th Hussars Movements

Postby Bill Berndt » 23 Jan 2010 23:57

Colenso:

Although my library is far from the best, I have looked at what little I have. The Transvaal Rebellion by John Laband is the only one I have on this war that mentions the unit and it is only once. It is in the context of the period just after the armistice when Wood is mentioned as having a buildup of units that have finally arrived from Britain. The 7th is mentioned as part of the Natal Field Force and he states that "the 7th (The Queen's Own) Regiment of Hussars and the 41st and 85th regiments were encamped at Pinetown in the healthy hills northwest of Durban." Woods notes that the regiments which had served in India clung together and treated the others as "griffins", or new boys.

The other reference I have, a copy of "The British Army" , by E.C. Talbot-Booth (no date of publication but later than WWI and before WWII), does not list any battle honors for the 7th between Lucknow and South Africa 1901-1902.

Sorry, not much there.

Regards, Bill
Bill Berndt

Re: 7th Hussars Movements

Postby colenso » 13 Mar 2010 11:19

Hi Bill,

Sorry for late reply but somehow I seem to have missed out on your post, many thanks for the response. I guess the 7th Hussars were on the high seas when peace was declared with the Boers, so the regiment obviously missed out on any involvement.

regards

colenso
colenso
Participating Member

Return to Transvaal Rebellion 1880-81