British Regiments/Units in the Transvaal Rebellion

For all discussions relating to the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81.

Re: British Regiments/Units in the Transvaal Rebellion

Postby colenso » 13 Mar 2010 11:10

Hi Mike,

As always, many thanks for your succinct post and outline of Major Barrow and his involvement in the Transvaal Campaign. Collecting medals to 10th Hussars, I am fortunate to have a few men’s medals who were certainly close by Barrow at El-Teb when he was pierced by a spear which passed through his arm and entered his body. I guess 2323 Private James Bett would have also been under his wing during the Transvaal campaign.

Bett’s is certainly turning out to be an interesting research project, and certainly the stuff of Empire. Bett rose through the ranks to RSM, before his appointment to Lieutenant & Quartermaster in the regiment, after which he served in the Sudan (Khartoum) and in the Boer War with the Northumberland’s where he was MID under Lord Roberts. Strange to say he did not receive a higher gallantry award, but a few weeks later he was appointed in the field to Honoury Captain QM – could he have taken a rise in rank for the monitory reasons rather than the glory award. Who knows!

If any kind soul has access to the full St George Gazettes, I would greatly appreciate any further information on James Bett. I do know that there were several articles and published photographs of him in the gazettes, and probably an obituary (Lt-Col James Bett, RMSM late Northumberland Fusiliers. b.1861 – d.1932).

Kind regards

colenso
colenso
Participating Member

Postby SWB » 13 Mar 2010 23:25

Don't forget the RE, Army Hospital Corps and ASC.

I recently acquired a splendid group to CSM P Ruane RE who served in the First ABW and was besieged at Lydenburg.

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=258&t=53370&p=416965#p416965

While Bronkhorst Spruit, Majuba and to a lesser extent the siege of Potchesftroom are the 'sexy' actions there was much other hard campaigning waiting to be 'discovered' by todays medal collectors.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Ashantee » 26 Sep 2010 21:10

Hi Colenso

If you are still on the trail of Bett, drop me an email and I would be happy to share with you certain information over and above that you have gleaned from the StGG and his obituary notice.

Kind regards
Ashantee
Ashantee

Postby Jonathan » 13 Dec 2010 21:31

How might one go about learning if an individual served in this campaign since there are no medals for it? I am researching Captain Alfred Smirke of the 15th Hussars. He retired in early 1882 so any post-Afghan War service eludes me. Any help is most appreciated!

Thank you,
Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby SWB » 13 Dec 2010 23:28

Hi Jonathan

The Army List would be the book to check. As he retired in 1882 I don't have one to help you.

At the The National Archives there is a collection (class WO76) of officer's statements of service for the Victorian era. It is far from comprehensive, but worth a shot. Obviously you need a friend or researcher to check for you.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Jonathan » 14 Dec 2010 01:36

Meurig,
Thank you for your reply. I lost my first query and when I re-typed it I forgot to mention that my main source so far has been Hart's List. He is listed in the reserve of officers along with his Afghan War service. In my experience Hart's List can leave out service history from time to time, especially when officers are no longer actively serving. I have sent a query to the regimental museum. Perhaps I will enquire specifically about the 1881 Transvaal Rebellion. It seems most of his fellow officers did serve (according to the 1883 Hart's List).

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Roo » 09 Feb 2011 16:03

Hi,
I'm new on this forum, so forgive any gaffs.
I'm eseaching my family history, and particulaly Captain James george Water Fairbairn of the Impeial Light Infantry.
I have his QSA with 4 clasps:- Laings Nek,Transvaal, Relief of Ladysmith, and Tugela Heights.
He was married to Agnes Fairbairn, nee? daughte of the Town clerk of Vienna, where his son,William Frank (Franz) Fairbairn was born in1885, in between the 1st and 2nd Boer wars?
The family moved to Argentina and were engineers on the railways.
William Frank recieved the MC at Ypres on 19th oct 1917 as a sec lt. with the Yorkshire and Lancashire (Lancaster?) rifles.(I also have this medal, with his Great War For Civilization Medal)
His son, My Father, deserted the Argentine navy in 1944,(He was born in Buenos Aires, and they had conscription) joined the Royal Tank Regiment, and retired as a Brigadier Geneal in the 1970s
Can any body thow any light on the movements of James, as in the 1880s he must have been travelling between Austia, and South Africa fairly regularly, a lot of tavelling fo that time.
Thanks
Robert W Handley-Fairbairn
Last edited by Roo on 10 Feb 2011 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Roo

Postby SWB » 10 Feb 2011 14:03

Hello Robert

The Second Anglo-Boer War was from 1899-1902. Ancestry.com has shipping lists where you may find JGWF listed.

The Imperial Light Infantry was raised in Natal mostly from refugees fleeing the Transvaal. Cpt JGW Fairbairn was probably working in the Transvaal or Natal when he enlisted - on 23-11-1899.

Regards
Meurig
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Will Mathieson » 10 Feb 2011 15:36

[imImageg][/img]
Maybe Fairbairn is here? Transvaal War Album (Boer War)
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby tricia » 30 Jul 2011 03:42

Hello Colenso
I happen to stumble across your request for information on Lt Col James Bett who is my great gandfather. My grandmother was james bett's daughter and her son is still living at the age of 91. I have the honour of having in my possession the orginal JMB Family Album which is full of interesting photographs, articles and other memorabilia. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any additional information. I would also be interested in the reason for research into such an interesting person.
Cheers Tricia
tricia

Postby kaiser » 26 Apr 2012 00:21

DavidB wrote:Mark,
I think my personal vote for a Zulu medal (if I could afford such things) with Transvaal Rebellion connections would be to a Bronkhorstspruit casualty of the 94th.
But perhaps you disagree? A Majuba casualty maybe?

I shall soon have a holy grail for my collection in the form of a Bronkhorstspruit casualty to the 94th :D
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Postby Mark » 26 Apr 2012 11:37

kaiser wrote:
DavidB wrote:Mark,
I think my personal vote for a Zulu medal (if I could afford such things) with Transvaal Rebellion connections would be to a Bronkhorstspruit casualty of the 94th.
But perhaps you disagree? A Majuba casualty maybe?

I shall soon have a holy grail for my collection in the form of a Bronkhorstspruit casualty to the 94th :D

Sounds exciting, Andrew! I trust we will see a photo and information shortly then? :wink:

Mark

P.S. Not that I am green with envy on such an acquisition! :mrgreen:
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Transvaal Rebellion 1880-81