British Regiments/Units in the Transvaal Rebellion

For all discussions relating to the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81.

British Regiments/Units in the Transvaal Rebellion

Postby Mark » 17 Mar 2009 19:31

Does anyone have a list of "British" regiments/units that took part in the Transvaal Rebellion of 1880-81?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: British Regiments/Units in the Transvaal Rebellion

Postby DavidB » 17 Mar 2009 19:48

Can't swear this is complete Mark, but it's a good starting point.
Some may just have been in Natal/Transvaal at the time rather than actually involved in any action.

1st Dragoon Guards
6th Dragoons
7th Hussars
14th Hussars
15th Hussars
2/21st Regt
58th Regt
3/60th Rifles
83rd Regt
85th Regt
92nd Regt
94th Regt

Are you interested in those involved in any particular action, Laing's Nek, Schuinhoogte (Ingogo), Majuba?
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby kaiser » 17 Mar 2009 19:48

Mark one i know of is the 21st Foot (Royal Scots Fusiliers) served in the Zulu war aswell,, not 100% about these: 1st Dragoon Guards, 60th Foot,

to slow on the draw :D
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Postby Mark » 17 Mar 2009 19:53

Crikey chaps, that was super quick :D

Thanks for the lists, much appreciated.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby DavidB » 17 Mar 2009 20:00

Broken down by action as well (cos I'm marking time while my dinner cooks :D )

Bronkhorstspruit - 94th Regt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_at_Bronkhorstspruit

Laing's Nek & Schuinshoogte- 1DG, 2/21st, 58th, 3/60th (+RN at Laings Nek)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Laing%27s_Nek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Schuinshoogte

Majuba - 15th Hus, 58th, 3/60th, 92nd, RN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Majuba_Hill
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 17 Mar 2009 20:11

amoaful73

Even better, excellent stuff! Having read the section in Mike Snook's book "Into the Jaws of Death" I find a small spark of interest in this ill-fated campaign.

As you know I am a medal collector but no medal was awarded for the Transvaal Rebellion since it was a defeat. However I was wondering what regiments returning from the Zulu War would have seen action against the Boers. I think it would be interesting to find a medal to a man who took part in both wars.

Mark :)
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby DavidB » 17 Mar 2009 20:35

Mark,
I think my personal vote for a Zulu medal (if I could afford such things) with Transvaal Rebellion connections would be to a Bronkhorstspruit casualty of the 94th.
But perhaps you disagree? A Majuba casualty maybe?
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby kaiser » 17 Mar 2009 21:02

Mark, Pte Webb 21st Foot in my collection was at Laing's Nek, young man only 14 when he joined the army in 1860, discharged 1883
Mon General, if by you action the British Army is annihilated, England will never pardon France, and France will not be able to pardon you! Always looking for medals to the Irish Regiments: 18th, 27th, 83rd, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th,
kaiser

Postby Mark » 17 Mar 2009 21:26

amoaful73 wrote:Mark,
I think my personal vote for a Zulu medal (if I could afford such things) with Transvaal Rebellion connections would be to a Bronkhorstspruit casualty of the 94th.
But perhaps you disagree? A Majuba casualty maybe?

I would be happy with either! :D

A Bronkhorstspruit or Majuba casualty would no doubt be an expensive piece!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 17 Mar 2009 21:27

kaiser wrote:Mark, Pte Webb 21st Foot in my collection was at Laing's Nek, young man only 14 when he joined the army in 1860, discharged 1883

Andrew

Yes I remember seeing this medal when you added it and was part of what sparked my interest. A very nice medal to have in your collection!

Mark :)
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby mike snook » 19 Mar 2009 09:38

Chaps

The 2nd/21st, 58th, 94th, 3rd/60th, 1st KDG had all been involved in the AZW. N Battery 5th Bde RA (the Isandlwana/Central Column Bty) was also extensively involved in the Transvaal. An N Battery Isandlwana survivor called Trumpeter Martin was also in the siege of Potchefstroom (which was also a nasty ride). He must have been glad to get out of South Africa!

Amoaful - the list of cavalry regiments looks too fulsome. The KDG rear party was caught up, the main body of the regiment having sailed from RSA just before the rebellion broke out - hence Maj Brownlow's involvment as OC the composite MI squadron. The 15th Hussars landed en route back from India and got up to the front at Newcastle/Laing's Nek towards the end - part of the so-called Indian Column and accompanied Wood's reconnaissance of the Wakkerstroom Rd - sent back in large part (less 1 squadron I think) to Newcastle by Colley prior to Majuba - some involvement in post-Majuba skirmishing I seem to remember - and so on. But I don't recall 6th Dragoons, 7th Hussars or 14th Hussars having anything to so with it. Off the top of my head - so open to persuasion - but I can't recollect any of them doing anything.

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby DavidB » 19 Mar 2009 12:37

mike snook wrote:Amoaful - the list of cavalry regiments looks too fulsome. The KDG rear party was caught up, the main body of the regiment having sailed from RSA just before the rebellion broke out - hence Maj Brownlow's involvment as OC the composite MI squadron. The 15th Hussars landed en route back from India and got up to the front at Newcastle/Laing's Nek towards the end - part of the so-called Indian Column and accompanied Wood's reconnaissance of the Wakkerstroom Rd - sent back in large part (less 1 squadron I think) to Newcastle by Colley prior to Majuba - some involvement in post-Majuba skirmishing I seem to remember - and so on. But I don't recall 6th Dragoons, 7th Hussars or 14th Hussars having anything to so with it. Off the top of my head - so open to persuasion - but I can't recollect any of them doing anything.

I'm sure you're right Mike. Those 3 cavalry regiments were in Natal/The Cape as far as I know, but I can't see any mention of them in the conflict.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby colenso » 12 Mar 2010 21:15

I picked up recently a very interesting group of medals to a Lieut. Colonel James Bett, 1St Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, which inspired me to re-open this thread.

The St George Gazette (North’d Fusiliers) for the 30 November 1889 and "Digest of Service" 10th January 1881 states the following: “The following men having volunteered to serve in the Mounted Infantry under Major Barrow 19th Hussars sailed for South Africa. (Included were 2323 J. Bett “D” Coy along with 13 others.)

Unlike the 7th Hussars, who during March 1881, were still on the high seas when peace was finally made with the Boers, Private James Bett had long since departed England’s shores (early January).

As I have no information on Major Burrows 19H or of his Mounted Infantry volunteer’s for this period; does anyone know what these men could have been involved in during this campaign?

Regards

colenso
colenso
Participating Member

Postby opcmh » 13 Mar 2010 04:27

Hello: I am searching for any information on the 7th Brigade Royal Artillery in the Cape of Good Hope, April 1880 - 1885 and particularly in Natal in 1881......regards jack
opcmh

Postby mike snook » 13 Mar 2010 09:14

Colenso

Just by way of background, that'll be Major PHS (Percy) Barrow who was a very fine cavalryman indeed. He commanded a MI squadron in the AZW and fought at Inyezane and Gingindlovu. After the Transvaal rebellion he became second in command (as a Lt Col with seniority 25/7/83) of the 19th H. He participated in the charge of the cavalry brigade at El Teb, commanding the second line, but was severely wounded, unhorsed and about to be done to death, when Quartermaster Sergeant William Marshall plucked him to safety, earning himself the VC in the process. (Barrow - MID and CB for the campaign). His boss on this occasion was Colonel Herbert Stewart, who had also been in the Transvaal, as Colley's COS (WIA and PW at Majuba). Later in the year Barrow was back in action with the Desert Column for the Gordon Relief expedition, commanding a squadron and a half of the 19th H. The column was commanded by the now Brig-Gen Sir Herbert Stewart, (who was only a substantive major in his regiment by the way). The squadron commander for the 19th was Major JDP French who went on to command the BEF in 1914. The 19th H did particulalry well as the eyes and ears of the column; much to do with Barrow's horse management, as well as his tactical handling of his command. Sad to say, although he lived through the Nile expedition, Barrow was to die of his El Teb wound a couple of years later.

The MI detachment at Laing's Nek and Ingogo was commanded by Maj Brownlow 1st KDG, who had been left behind with his regiment's rear details after the main body had rather inopportunely sailed for home. (They had earlier been committed to the AZW of course). There were no other substantive engagements to speak of involving MI in the campaign - except in so far as some of them might have been involved in covering the retreat from Majuba, but I cannot recall any direct reference to them doing so. Most of the uncommitted troops simply stood to their arms at Mount Prospect in anticipation of a follow up attack from the Boers. Barrow is certainly credited with service in the Transvaal campaign, but according to Hart's 1884 'under Sir Evelyn Wood', which tends to suggest that he might not have arrived before Majuba (Colley KIA, Wood assumes) - although I wouldn't swear to this. If he made it, it would have been tight anyway, suggesting that the majority of the time was passed in post-Majuba ceasefire mode.

Interesting man Barrow. His brother Charles (Maj C.T. Barrow) was in the Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) and was also in the Desert Column, serving in the Mounted Infantry Camel Regiment (MICR), which he commanded at the battle of Abu Klea, after the regimental commander (Gough) was 'knocked senseless' by a spent round.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Next

Return to Transvaal Rebellion 1880-81