Please support a British Memorial in the Crimea

Section for all discussions and the posting of photographs or links regarding Victorian related monuments, war memorials and graves - both in the UK and elsewhere.

Re: Please support a British Memorial in the Crimea

Postby crimea1854 » 01 Feb 2016 20:49

Louise

I am a 'Martin B'. On balance I would prefer to support 'Help for Heroes', since my interest in the Crimea relates to the men of the Royal Navy, whose contribution is often forgotten.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby timothylrose » 01 Feb 2016 22:33

Louise - thanks for your kind comments - for our part hang on to the money till after the AGM - think of it as the start of the foundation of a memorial at the National Arboretum - a number of our group already have associations with them and if we can't build a memorial to the lads out there then next best is a new one remembering them here - again happy to throw what little weight we have behind any such project - would prefer to see it go to something related to what we raised it for rather than in a general accumulated fund if that makes sense.

Keep the faith and you can rely on us for our best support - atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby Swordswoman » 03 Feb 2016 10:24

Apologies for the slow responses, but we've been suffering here from the BT Broadband outage.

Martin - I quite understand, and indeed agree with you about the neglect of the role of the Royal Navy. Should the plan for a memorial in the National Military Arboretum ever come to anything, I'll certainly do all I can to see the Navy are accorded proper recognition.
Meanwhile I've now passed on your donation to 'Help for Heroes'. Their donation form would only allow me to send in my own name, but I've emailed you the receipt so you can see it's really gone through. Thank you again on both their and our behalf.

Tim - Thank you for a typically generous reply. I'll certainly hang on to the money until after the AGM, but will also use it to try and raise enthusiasm for the new project. If I can say the Diehards are already supporting it, then that should mean a lot... Fingers firmly crossed that we have better success with this one.

Meanwhile the first batch of refunds are already going out. One or two are being held for PayPal's 'reviewing process' (I'm afraid yours is one, Meurig) but even those should be delayed by no more than 72 hours. If anyone from this forum is still waiting after that, then please let me know - either here or by PM.

Thanks again to all,

Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Postby timothylrose » 07 Feb 2016 21:47

Loiuse - just a quick update - had our annual qualification shoot at Bisley and explained what we doing with our donation - the chaps are more than happy and we have an additional £106 from yesterday's raffle which i will hold here as a pledge if that helps give you a bit more weight at the CWRS AGM - atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby Swordswoman » 10 Feb 2016 00:42

So sorry for the late reply, Tim. I had a notification on another thread and didn't realize there was an answer here too!

But thank you very much for such an encouraging update, and also for the offer to hold back the £106 in case our new appeal goes ahead. I have to say I'm not as hopeful as I was, since the problem is finding enough people willing to do the actual work of an appeal, but the more money I can metaphorically dangle in front of them at the AGM, then the greater our chances of persuading people to play.

Still, we're keeping the faith. Fingers crossed that others at the CWRS will do the same!

Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Previous

Return to Victorian Monuments, War Memorials & Graves