British Casualties in Sudan, El Teb 1884?

Section for all discussions and the posting of photographs or links regarding Victorian related monuments, war memorials and graves - both in the UK and elsewhere.

British Casualties in Sudan, El Teb 1884?

Postby cdsearcher » 15 Nov 2012 22:51

Does anyone know if there was ever any sort of marker(s) for the graves of the soldiers killed at the Battle of El Teb 29 February 1884? I am guessing no, since it was/is such an isolated place. Pehaps someone did something after the reconquest of the Sudan?
cdsearcher

Re: British Casualties in Sudan, El Teb 1884?

Postby Mark A. Reid » 17 Nov 2012 20:57

Hello cdsearcher;

I note that this is your first post so will take the opportunity to welcome you to the Forum, I have no doubt that you will enjoy it too.

You raise a good question and I'll admit right away that I can't answer it. However, I can comment on the fate of British fatalities from the Battle of Tamaai only two weeks later. The Graphic, the illustrated paper, of 5 April, 1884, page 329, depicts a convoy of the Egyptian Camel Corps returning to Suakin with the British dead carried on their mounts. The Egyptian Camel Corps was a combatant unit but may have been given this grisly task in order to relieve their British allies from such a sad duty. I would suspect that the dead from both actions, El-Teb and Tamaai, were probably returned to Suakin so that their remains could be given a proper burial in consecrated ground. Another thread on this Forum deals with the various cemeteries around Suakin and I feel sure that the surviving comrades of the fallen would have ensured that proper monuments would have been erected over their graves.

Having said that, I know that in the 20th century a number of men were removed from Suakin cemeteries and re-interred in Khartoum War Cemetery where their graves could be better maintained than at the largely abandoned town of Suakin. I look forward to seeing what other might have to say on the matter.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby mike snook » 30 Mar 2013 00:22

Been there and the answer is no. Nothing.

In Khartoum there are some reburials from the 2nd Suakin Campaign and also from Wady Halfa.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby mike snook » 30 Mar 2013 00:32

P.S Last to be the only white man in Tokar is a cissy.

Phew.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Return to Victorian Monuments, War Memorials & Graves