Brigade of Guards, Caterham.

Section for all discussions and the posting of photographs or links regarding Victorian related monuments, war memorials and graves - both in the UK and elsewhere.

Brigade of Guards, Caterham.

Postby BruceRAF » 14 May 2015 17:12

As I live locally, I have taken an interest in the pre WW1 soldiers buried at the cemetery at Caterham. They seem to have come from Caterham barracks and a lot seem to have died from non combat causes. Indeed, some seem to have only been in the army for a few months. Can anyone explain this? It is not like a sudden epidemic because the dates range from 1873 until 1908.
BruceRAF New Member Posts: 2Joined: 13 May 2015 21:24
BruceRAF

Re: Brigade of Guards, Caterham.

Postby Frogsmile » 14 May 2015 17:21

The British Army had a huge problem with hygiene in barracks, especially regarding toilet waste and shared space with animals. Scarlet fever, cholera and typhus, as well as influenza and pneumonia, all carried a steady attrition rate. In many ways it was similar to cramped tenement life in any city and the problem was one of lack of individual space and virtually non-existent plumbing. Most older barracks have a nearby cemetery that reflects this loss from disease and the occasional accident.

There was an enquiry on hygiene in British Army barracks (to which Florence Nightingale contributed) and many improvements were incorporated in the Cardwell depot barracks that began to be built in a programme lasting around 10 years from the mid 1870s onwards. If you 'search' within the forum using keywords 'hygiene' and 'barracks', you will find much of relevance.}
Last edited by Frogsmile on 17 May 2015 09:11, edited 5 times in total.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: Brigade of Guards, Caterham.

Postby BruceRAF » 14 May 2015 19:08

Many thanks. I will follow your keyword prompts as they seem as if they will be of interest to me.
BruceRAF

Return to Victorian Monuments, War Memorials & Graves