Churchill's funeral- detail missing?

Section for all discussions and the posting of photographs or links regarding Victorian related monuments, war memorials and graves - both in the UK and elsewhere.

Churchill's funeral- detail missing?

Postby jf42 » 28 Jan 2015 09:55

I wonder if anyone notices a significant detail missing from this article, significant at any rate to members of VWF, I am sure - (although doubtless many would know it anyway).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30981155

Sign of the times?
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: Churchill's funeral- detail missing?

Postby jf42 » 31 Jan 2015 14:30

Ok. Time's up.

No mention of the regiment- apart from Mr Perkin's own reference to the pallbearers being 'true Grenadiers.'
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Josh&Historyland » 31 Jan 2015 18:19

And even so, a tad vague. Why was the Guards and not his old Regiment?

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » 31 Jan 2015 23:32

Josh&Historyland wrote:And even so, a tad vague. Why was the Guards and not his old Regiment?

Josh.

A fair question. The Queen's Royal Irish Hussars, successor to 4th Queen's Own Hussars, took over at Waterloo Station for the journey to Bladon and the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars had been alloted a prominent place in the funeral procession. WSC remained Colonel of the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars and was Honorary Colonel of the QOOH until his death, I believe. Having been commissioned in the 4th QOH in 1895, he transferred into the QOOH as part of the Imperial Yeomanry in 1902. It was in the QOOH he retained his commission as a Territorial until he retired in 1924.

When WSC retired from government in 1915 and opted for service on the Western Front, he first joined the 2nd Bn. Grenadiers for a brief period of infantry training before taking over as CO the 6th Bn. Royal Scots Fusiliers. I suppose that makes the Grenadier Guards the senior infantry regiment with which he was associated- while still holding a commission in a cavalry regiment.

Perhaps it was simply because the Grenadier Guards are the senior infantry regiment and could claim the privilege- or perhaps it was a mark of respect on the part of the Queen. The fact that they are generally big men might have been a significant factor. The Royal Highland Fusiliers, as they had become by 1965, were composed predominantly of small Glaswegians. Even the big Guardsmen struggled with the heavy lead-lined coffin.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Return to Victorian Monuments, War Memorials & Graves