Cape Frontier Book

For all discussions relating to the Seventh, Eigth and Nineth Cape Frontier Wars fought between 1846 and 1878.

Cape Frontier Book

Postby mike snook » 11 Oct 2014 19:54

Evening all

I'm presently working on a book which in shape and form will be a bit like my Go Strong into the Desert wot I did for my chums at Perry Miniatures.

The subject will be conflict on the frontiers of South Africa between the 1830 and 1850s. While taking care of the words is the hard bit and my job, the fun bit is gathering in some thumping good imagery. An important element in the GSITD formula, which went down a storm, is the new dress and uniforms artwork we did, informed by my sniffing about and other forms of research. So informing that important element of the book is where I'm coming from with this post.

If you have something which you feel warrants a place, to which you own the copyright, and which you are prepared to let me use in the book in return only for the transitory glory of an acknowledgement, I'd love to hear from you. But you might also have imagery to which you don't own the copyright but which might also be helpful to me getting things right in the new artwork.

Now, I'm presently surrounded in my study by most if not all of the books which have been published on these episodes since the second world war, and plenty from a much earlier period besides. So bear in mind that anything commonplace or well known is probably already catered for in my research plan. Similarly I have been all over the eastern cape with my camera clicking away, so commonplace photography is also unlikely to be much use. We are now hunting the unusual and that's why I pose the question to the illuminati of VWF. Such things might be primary source accounts, sketches by participants of forts, views, places, individuals, groups, battles etc etc, details of uniforms and adaptations of uniforms etc,....African and coloured of course as well as European.

These are some of the types we'll be capturing - Moshoeshoe's baSotho, the Barolong, every amaXhosa clan you can think of,
amaZulu of course, amaNdebele, voortrekkers, baThlokwa, the Griquas, Brits, Boers, Khoekhoe and coloured. You get the idea.

Plenty which can be discussed here on the thread and of course you can pm me if you want to deal in a bit more privacy.

[And if anybody with a shedload of research money at their disposal wants to sponsor the big grown up heavyweight follow up after the fashion of Beyond the Reach of Empire, don't hesitate to get in touch!]

As ever

Mike

PS I'm at the James Owen rededication tomorrow so any VWFers on parade come and say hi.
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Re: Cape Frontier Book

Postby timothylrose » 12 Oct 2014 14:58

Mike - if it helps have engravings of the fight at Butterworth River, Oudishoorn Mounted Volunteers on their way to the Eastern border, the Battle of Quintana, Thaba Bosigo and all Lloyd's "On active service" some of which covers the Cape Wars - you probably already have access to them but if any are of use let me know - atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby roconn » 15 Oct 2014 23:28

Mike:
Just as I thought you'd thrown down your pen -- off you go an get started on another volume! Of course these are early days but do you have any idea of the forecasted publication date -- in my case so enough coin is to be set aside? Otherwise we'll have to drink domestic plonk instead of the imported stuff.
Cheers
Roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby mike snook » 21 Nov 2014 16:49

Dear Roconn

Sorry for the delayed reply....factors to work themselves through and all that before giving a decent answer...but I reckon it would be about July/Aug 15. It will probably be called Cape Warriors, with a sub-title to expand on that. It will cover Brit regulars, Zulu, Xhosa, baSotho, Mfengu (Fingoes), Griquas, 'Dutchmen', 'Englishmen' and Khoekhoe/Coloured (both levies and 'rebels'). I apologise for the 'coloured' word to those reading these words in UK and USA but not to those reading in RSA (where the word continues to be used in the govt service and still represents a distinct cultural identity...wouldn't it be nice if we all spoke the same language, or at least adhered to the same social conventions!) Quite how I'm going to get around that in a book intended for all three readerships (and all the other English-speaking countries) I don't yet know. Hey ho. Life is full of little challenges. There will be 40 new colour plates, including the first ever accurate representation of the 74th Hldrs (other threads refer!).

Dear Tim

The decision I've arrived at with the publisher is to shape the book in such a way as the cover the 1830s-50s, so the ninth war will be outside the scope. I do greatly appreciate the offer however...

...and while I'm on the subject take the opportunity to repeat the appeal to the broader mass of the kirk.

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby Josh&Historyland » 03 May 2015 15:17

Hi Mike,

Not sure if you are still looking for images but I was perusing Osprey books and remembered Gerry Embleton did an interesting study of infantry and artillery of this period seen here.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7268

And Barthorp's BAOC 1 had some nice plates of interesting uniform variations such as the 71st & the heavy cavalry.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby mike snook » 04 May 2015 10:01

Josh

This will lake you laugh. It's very good of you, but actually the original watercolour of that very plate is owned by the Perries! I was looking at it the other day with them at Alan's house.

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby Josh&Historyland » 04 May 2015 16:20

Mike.

Laughing as I write :). Small little world isn't it? The Perry's must have a wonderful collection, I have the Osprey Rorkes Drift which Alan Illustrated, I imagine they must have quite a few original "Osprey's". Wondering if they have any of Pierre Turner's (finally remembered his name) he did British Army on Campaign 1-4. Cape Mounted Rifles, 71st & 7th Dragoon Guards.

Doubtless you're also familiar with the battle of Gwanga picture.
http://www.grosvenorprints.com/stock_detail.php?ref=27456

Josh
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby petergoose » 22 Jul 2015 14:14

I'm new to this forum but I've got all your books and I am looking forward to buying your next one. Also I know its a bit to ask but you don't want to give the Crimean battles the how can man die better treatment by any chance. :D
petergoose

Postby mike snook » 22 Jul 2015 21:24

Peter G

God grant me the endurance and I'll get to them all one day! Maybe I should become a vampire? :D

Best wishes

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby Frogsmile » 23 Jul 2015 14:38

mike snook wrote:Peter G

God grant me the endurance and I'll get to them all one day! Maybe I should become a vampire? :D

Best wishes

Mike

Who's to bite you Mike, Ingrid Pitt, Salma Hayek, or Kristen Stewart?
:twisted:
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby petergoose » 24 Jul 2015 18:27

mike snook wrote:Peter G

Best wishes

Mike

Weeeel,its not the said thing nowadays but sometimes the end really does justify the means :D so I'm sure society wouldn't mind a vampire among them in return for great military history books. At least I wouldnt.
Also should you become a vampire you could also write a book on Omdurman, its been a while since the last full length study,or how about covering the Indian mutiny or maybe the campaigns against the mao.....OK I'm gonna stop there :mrgreen:
petergoose

Postby RobD » 24 Jul 2015 20:29

Have you come across this? I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
Rob

A Proper Degree of Terror: John Graham and the Cape's Eastern Frontiers
MacLennan, Ben
Published by Ravan Press (Pty) Ltd (1986-02)
ISBN 10: 0869752359 / ISBN 13: 9780869752357
RobD
Participating Member

Postby bill wright » 25 Jul 2015 22:24

DEAR MIKE

I am just working on the last two chapters of my own next opus on Wolseley`s year in South Africa 1879-80.....so best of luck on yours....!
Regarding the 6th, 7th, 8th Xhosa Frontier Wars I have most of the contemporary sources if you need anything I can help with, especially any pix from the illustrations in Victorian works let me know. Also,f you don`t have access to Cory, there are great plates of many things - Gaika Chief Botman, Chief Kreli, Forts White, Cox, Beaufort and Brown, Generals Maitland, Napier and many others. The Narrative of Private Buck Adams (1941) has many good plates, my copy of King`s Campaigning in Kaffirland has 5 lovely chromolithograph tinted plates including "Storming The Amatolas" and "The Death of Col. Fordyce" etc. best regards Bill Wright
bill wright

Return to Cape Frontier Wars 1846 -1878