Information on two colonial units

For all discussions relating to the Seventh, Eigth and Nineth Cape Frontier Wars fought between 1846 and 1878.

Information on two colonial units

Postby DundeeBoer » 31 May 2012 00:24

Was hoping someone could assist me with any information on these two colonial units. The German Volunteer Rifle Corps and Burgher Contingent and the Frontier Mounted Riflemen. I have the basic information from the Medal rolls but I’m afraid that’s it. Any information about the roll they played during the war when they were disbanded ETC…would be appreciated.
Regards, Jeff
DundeeBoer

Re: Information on two colonial units

Postby trooper » 31 May 2012 05:08

The Frontier Mounted Rifles were raised in 1886 by Lt Col Hutchinson as the Cathcart Mounted Rifles which was renamed as Frontier Mounted Rifles in 1887. During the Boer War the men refused to cross the frontier and the unit was disbanded. Their uniform was blue with white braid and facings.

There was also Brabant's Horse which was also known as the Frontier Mounted Riflemen which was an Eastern Province unit which saw service in the later stages of the Ninth Kaffir War. This unit seems to have ceased to exist prior to the Boer War

Hope these meagre snippets are of some help. Trooper
trooper
Veteran Member

Re: Information on two colonial units

Postby DundeeBoer » 04 Jun 2012 02:57

Trooper,

Thanks for all the information. It’s much appreciated. That gives me a nice starting point for the FMR.
All the Best, Jeff
DundeeBoer

Return to Cape Frontier Wars 1846 -1878