43rd Foot in the Cape

For all discussions relating to the Seventh, Eigth and Nineth Cape Frontier Wars fought between 1846 and 1878.

43rd Foot in the Cape

Postby Brett Payne » 12 Feb 2011 07:39

I know from searching old newspaper articles that the 43rd Regiment served in the Cape of Good Hope from late 1851 (arrived from Cork) until December 1853, when they departed from East London for India. Can anyone tell me, please, what actions they fought in, or where to look for material which might describe their time there?

In particular, I'm looking for any reference to Ensign/Lieutenant F.M. Colvile. Any help or pointers appreciated.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand
Brett Payne

Re: 43rd Foot in the Cape

Postby Peter Ewart » 12 Feb 2011 22:19

Brett

A new book on the 8th Frontier War (1850-53) has been written by Keith Smith, author of several works on the Anglo-Zulu War and of The Wedding Feast War , which covered the 9th FW. This new work describes the military engagements in considerable detail and I'd imagine publication is likely this year. Keep an eye out for it. If Keith, who is a contributor here, sees your post he may be able to furnish you with more details.

Peter
Peter Ewart
Participating Member

Postby mike snook » 12 Feb 2011 22:36

Brett

Battle of Berea - Sir George Cathcart's short campaign against the Basutos. Two companies I seem to recall.

They get a few mentions in the literature of the 8th CFW, but seem to be a bit peripheral at times, a bit like the 45th Regt. I can think of nothing which majors on the 43rd; mentions here and there, but nothing too exciting. They became part of what used to be called the Light Infantry, subsequently subsumed into today's 'The Rifles'. You mght get something from their museum website, but few regimental websites are that useful in my experience.

I have an extensive CFW collection and will keep an eye out for mentions when I'm browsing through from time to time.

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Brett Payne » 13 Feb 2011 11:15

Thanks very much for your contributions, Peter and Mike. Since posting this query, I discovered a newspaper mention which suggests that he only joined the 43rd after they had been shipped to India from the Eastern Cape. So, back to the drawing board. Anyway, I appreciate your assistance.

Regards and best wishes, Brett
Brett Payne

Postby Eric CL » 15 Feb 2011 12:31

You can find a summary of the 43rd operations in the Cape here :

Historical records of the Forty-third Regiment, Monmouthshire Light Infantry, 1868

http://books.google.fr/books?id=Ssw-AAAAYAAJ
Eric CL
Participating Member

Postby Brett Payne » 15 Feb 2011 20:10

Thank you, Eric. I downloaded that book, and it will be a very useful source.

Regards and best wishes, Brett
Brett Payne

Return to Cape Frontier Wars 1846 -1878