CAPE WARRIORS (2 Vols) by Col Mike Snook

For all discussions relating to the Seventh, Eigth and Nineth Cape Frontier Wars fought between 1846 and 1878.

Re: CAPE WARRIORS (2 Vols) by Col Mike Snook

Postby JBL » 18 Jul 2016 21:51

Dear Mike,

Vol. II of Cape Warriors, British Battles in Colonial South Africa 1834-53, is safely in hand here in the US. It is a superb narrative and analysis of these obscure actions, beautifully illustrated and with excellent maps. As I said, I have great interest in the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders and have the medals of a half a dozen men from the 1st Battalion and Reserve Battalion. However, I have to admit that I could not follow much of what was written in the regimental sources on these campaigns because I lacked a proper frame of reference. Almost everything was confusing. I no longer have that problem. You have created a magnificent tribute to these men and their service. I now have a real understanding of what the 91st did in South Africa. Thanks very much!

Best wishes,
John
JBL

Postby mike snook » 19 Jul 2016 01:40

Gosh thanks John, it's ever so good of you to take the trouble to say so. I appreciate it greatly. I think I started from the same place as you - frustrated by an absence of quality military history covering what was plainly an intriguing era and theatre of operations, so if I've done anything to memorialize the men concerned and their rightful place in history I can rest content. Thanks John.

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby roconn » 07 Oct 2016 01:07

Your Grace:

Its hard to believe how rapidly my order on Perry's was delivered to my door within 5 days! Normally in-town delivery here cannot be guaranteed within 2 days! You must have some drag with Royal Mail or own the enterprise!

However, the 2 vols were eagerly anticipated and were not found wanting in description or pix! This must have taken much time and research to arrive at such a wealth of detail.

Still absorbing the contents and in the interim please take a bow --- your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Drinks all round

roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Postby mike snook » 07 Oct 2016 09:49

Why thank you sir. I wish I did own the Royal Mail...I hope you did not get clobbered for postage. I just paid £39 to send copies of both volumes in repayment of kind favours to the Brenthurst Library in Johannesburg and the Anne S K Brown Collection in Rhode Island. Ouch! But I think I paid more than is the standard rate, for RSA certainly, as, unlike your fine nation, (good effort by that General Wolfe!), it is not altogether unknown for pirates, Apaches or Cossacks to ambush the Johannesburg mail somewhere along the evidently over-extended lines of communication! I cannot deny that there was a certain amount of hard travail involved in the project, but when the pain ends and one receives kind messages like yours it all becomes worthwhile. I am chinking my glass in your direction now. I hope you enjoy the read. It is I think fairly astonishing how the military history of SA prior to 1879-1902, has been so overlooked, when it is so very interesting.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Previous

Return to Cape Frontier Wars 1846 -1878