CAPE WARRIORS (2 Vols) by Col Mike Snook

For all discussions relating to the Seventh, Eigth and Nineth Cape Frontier Wars fought between 1846 and 1878.

CAPE WARRIORS (2 Vols) by Col Mike Snook

Postby mike snook » 22 Mar 2016 11:41

jacket Image.jpg
jacket Image.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 2409 times

jacket image II.jpg
jacket image II.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 2406 times

Morning all. Here are the back jacket blurbs for Cape Warriors, a two volume work. Volume I will launch on 16 April at the Excel Centre in London and thereafter be available exclusively from the books section of the Perry Miniatures webstore. Volume Ii will follow a few weeks later. Both are priced at £25.00 and are in an attractive extensively illustrated format. There are also 100,000 words of text in each volume. Please buy at least 6 for yourself and two or three for everybody you know!

Best wishes as ever

Mike

CAPE WARRIORS VOLUME I
FRONTIER WARFARE AND FIGHTING MEN IN COLONIAL SOUTH AFRICA 1834-53

Between 1834 and 1853 a number of seismic conflicts occurred on the expanding frontiers of Cape Colony, wars that ultimately were to shape the destiny of South Africa down to 1994. In December 1834, not entirely without provocation, Chief Maqoma launched a large scale Xhosa invasion of the settled districts of the Eastern Cape, burning out Boer and Briton alike. Although British regulars and boer commandos, soldiering in combination, were eventually able to turn the tide of invasion and win the war, the liberal interest in London ham-fistedly and wrongly insisted that it had been provoked solely by the settler interest, with the result that a significant slice of the boer population became profoundly alienated from British liberal precepts. In an episode known in history as the ‘Great Trek’ several thousand ‘Dutch’ subjects of the Crown packed their possessions into ox-wagons and set off into the African interior, intent, ultimately, on establishing autonomous republics in which the white farmer’s best interests would reign supreme. On both the high veldt across the Vaal and on the far side of the Drakensberg in Natal, trekker advance parties were attacked by the African indigenes in their path, triggering the Boer-Ndebele War of 1836-7 and the Boer-Zulu War of 1838-40. Concerned by what was perceived to be unnecessary strife with the African peoples of the interior, British attempts to restrain and police the republican emigrants resulted in the Anglo-Boer clashes of 1842 (Siege of Port Natal), 1845 (the Philippolis Intervention) and 1848 (the republican rebellion in the Orange River Sovereignty), setting the seal on mutual and long enduring Anglo-Boer antipathy. In the Eastern Cape there were renewed bouts of Anglo-Xhosa hostilities between 1846-7 (the 7th Cape Frontier War) and 1850-53 (the 8th Cape Frontier War). Although Anglo-Colonial forces were to triumph in the end, Xhosa resistance was brave, protracted and in many ways innovative, resulting in a gruelling mode of African warfare far removed from the European or Indian experience of the colony’s British military governors. In Volume I of Cape Warriors the author, a noted authority on nineteenth century colonial warfare, examines the military dimensions of this turbulent period and describes the various types of fighting men who made war for the destiny of South Africa. Featuring 41 new uniform plates by Michael and Alan Perry and the contemporaneous art of such noted figures as Thomas Baines, Charles Davidson Bell, Major Charles Michell, Captain Thomas Lucas and Lieutenant Hugh Robinson, Cape Warriors Volume I pays an unprecedented amount of attention to the visual dimension of South Africa’s frontier wars.

CAPE WARRIORS VOLUME II
BRITISH BATTLES IN COLONIAL SOUTH AFRICA
1834-53

In Volume II the author turns his attention to combat and the tactical conduct of operations on the South African frontier, addressing some of the most notable general actions of the period. The battles addressed share the common bond that the British Army was in all cases one of the antagonists, but on the other side of the battlefield are variously republican boere, Xhosa warriors or mixed-race ‘Hottentot’ rebels, each of which, in their uniquely different ways, presented nineteenth century regulars with a testing military challenge that was not lightly or easily overcome. For all that the names of the battles addressed by the book are not entirely unknown, what actually took place has conventionally been glossed over or addressed only at a superficial level. As a result a number of important military engagements command no substantive place in the annals of the British Army or for that matter wider military history. They have, in short, been all but forgotten. By dint of the author’s extensive archival research and field work on the battlefields themselves, the engagements at issue have at last been reconstructed in considerable detail. Amongst other dramatic events we learn of the Battles of Congella, Durban Bay, Burnshill, Trompetter’s Drift, Committee’s Drift, Fort Peddie, Mgwangqa River, Boomplaats, Boma Pass, Fort White, Sandile’s Kop, Fort Armstrong, Kroomie Heights, Nel’s Farm and the ‘Oldham Disaster’. All are fascinating, dramatic and uniquely different tales. Each of the ten chapters are accompanied by maps, orders of battle, annotated battlefield photography and compelling contemporaneous art drawn or painted by eyewitnesses.
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Re: CAPE WARRIORS (2 Vols) by Col Mike Snook

Postby Mark » 22 Mar 2016 12:52

I am looking forward to reading these, Mike! :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » 22 Mar 2016 13:33

Oh, wow! Mike these look awesome. I'd be pestering you about review copies except Bloomsbury are going to be sending me 5 books between now and April to cover!

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby SWB » 22 Mar 2016 14:07

Hello Mike

Do you know if they are going to reviewed in Soldiers of the Queen (Victorian Military Society)?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » 23 Mar 2016 11:38

Congratulations on the forthcoming arrivals, Mike. Twins, no less! We will all feel like god parents to the happy event.

It will be intriguing to see how your cogitations shared here have been distilled into prose and pictures, as well as seeing the contemporay illustrations that you were unable to share.

And I for one, was not aware of the link between the Xhosa wars and the Great Trek until I read it in the above post.
JF
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 23 Mar 2016 12:46

Um, I can't seem to find any reference to Khartoum or the Mahdi. I've heard of the White Nile and the Blue Nile but ... an Orange River? Does Volume 3 cover the operations around Suakin?

Kidding aside, Congratulations Mike on producing these new books. If they are as well researched and as engagingly written as your previous tomes then they will certainly become the definitive reference on the campaigns. Well done!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby rd72 » 23 Mar 2016 16:20

They look great Mike. Eagerly anticipating their availability, for sure.
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Postby Atheling » 24 Mar 2016 14:33

Well, they are both on my to buy list!

No doubt they will make very good (and perhaps more importantly educational) reading.

And no doubt lead to some furious ordering of many a toy (and a couple of books :wink: ) from the 'terribly tempting' twins :D

Darrell.
Atheling
Participating Member

Postby mike snook » 24 Mar 2016 14:42

I think you'll find that the Blue Nile flows into the Orange, that Bloemfontein is just upriver from Khartoum Mark.....and that Maqoma was the Mahdi's younger half-brother....unless I've got it all wrong? :o

Better not start that game I suppose.....

Thanks for your kind best wishes chaps. If you enjoy it, it'll have been worth the effort....it's not going to be stockpiled high at Waterstone's let's face it. Most of the 'celebs' are now onto their second and third (alleged) 'autobiographies' after all. God save western civilization!

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby mike snook » 13 Apr 2016 19:28

This, I hope, is the pre-order link for Cape Warriors Vol I

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=3455

...Oh good it works. Well done me.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby timothylrose » 13 Apr 2016 21:06

Try and catch you at Salute and pick up a copy Mike - running a game there - atb Tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby mike snook » 13 Apr 2016 23:21

OK Tim, great. See you Saturday.

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby JBL » 03 May 2016 00:43

Col. Snook,

"Cape Warriors," Vol. I is safely in hand here in the US. Warmest congratulations for a superbly researched and beautifully illustrated study of combatants in the 6th to 8th Cape Frontier Wars! My special interest is the 91st Foot, and I've always found the campaigns confusing, so your narratives are most welcome. When will Vol. II be available? I can hardly wait.

Best wishes,
John
JBL

Postby mike snook » 03 May 2016 10:28

Dear John

Thank you for your kind words. I estimate that Vol II will be published here about a month from now. You'll be glad to know that the 91st features prominently.

With all best wishes

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Postby mike snook » 15 Jul 2016 10:17

Morning All

Just to let you know that Vol II of Cape Warriors is now available. The top link below goes to Vol II on its own, on the publisher's (Perry Miniatures) website. The bottom one goes to both Volumes I and II together, with something off the price, a fiver I think. You even get a free toy soldier in 28mm scale of Colonel John Fordyce, 74th Hldrs, whichever option you go for. To be clear, even though Perrys is a wargaming firm, the books are pure military history and presented to the highest publishing standards. Toys don't so much as warrant a mention. If toys are your thing, however, Perrys are in the middle of releasing a wonderful Cape Wars range and you'll find all that elsewhere on their website.

If I was being boastful, perish the thought, I would say that everybody on the planet, nay in the universe (!), would learn a good deal about the Cape Frontier Wars they didn't know before I carried through this little caper...! Much that is new in other words.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=3492&osCsid=h08tjq6r7t0p0h552oidf42hf4

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=3493&osCsid=h08tjq6r7t0p0h552oidf42hf4

With all best wishes,

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook

Next

Return to Cape Frontier Wars 1846 -1878