Control Department

For all discussions relating to the Second, Third, Fourth & Fifth Ashantee Wars fought between 1863 and 1900.

Control Department

Postby Cantabrigian » 11 Oct 2013 19:43

Hello,

I'm new to this, but have become interested in the Victorian Wars, now that I have discovered an ancestor having been in the New Zealand, China and Ashantee campaigns.
His name is James Harrymount and he dies 8 Nov 1873 at Cape Coast Castle (or on board HMS Simoon?). He is mentioned on a memorial window at Aldershot and also in General Si Garnet J Wolseley's memoirs.

I was wondering what the role of Assistant Commissary was and if it was civilian or military. Would there be army records for him held, I assume, at Kew?

Would there be death records if buried at Cape Coast Castle (and memorial stone) or if buried at sea? I'm assuming if he did die on HMS Simoon he would have been buried at sea.

Is Harrymount a name known about?

Thank you,

Derek
Cantabrigian

Re: Control Department

Postby Waggoner » 11 Oct 2013 20:52

Derek,

The Commissariat was transferred from the Treasury to the War Office as part of the post-Crimean War reforms. During the 1860s and 1870s, the officers had quasi military status. Because this was a time of rapid change, I will need to consult my notes and get back to you with further details.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Cantabrigian » 16 Oct 2013 19:35

Thanks, Gary, that's very kind.
Cantabrigian

Postby crimea1854 » 18 Oct 2013 11:00

Derek

I found the follow in an online ebook (Coomassie and Magdala : the story of two British campaigns in Africa):

Sir Grarnet Wolseley has paid the penalty which Africa inflicts on the European who treads her shores. His audacity
in braving the hot sun at mid-day has been punished by an attack of fever. Others are sufferers as well. Two officers only, however, have been buried since my arrival — Eardley Wilmot, already mentioned, and Harry Mount, of the Control Department, who died of dysentery. Colonel M'Neill, Chief of Staff, has been invalided home ; Captains Brackenbury and Charteris have been on the sick list; Major Baker, Acting-Adjutant-Greneral, vice M'Neill, has suffered from dysentery

I'm assuming that Harry Mount should read Harrymount, because Eardley Wilmot, who served in the Royal Artillery, is also shown on the Ashanti medal roll as 'Dead'.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Cantabrigian » 02 Nov 2013 21:25

Thanks Martin,

That's interesting - it suggests that he was actually buried there.

I'm grateful to you for the info.

Derek
Cantabrigian

Return to Ashantee Wars 1863-1900