Document by R. Home in Royal Engineers Museum.

For all discussions relating to the Second, Third, Fourth & Fifth Ashantee Wars fought between 1863 and 1900.

Document by R. Home in Royal Engineers Museum.

Postby Athelstan » 28 Jan 2013 11:43

Morning everyone :D

I recently found a reference to the following document that is apparently in the Royal Engineers Museum in Chatham. Home, R. ' On the engineering operations in the Gold Coast during the recent expedition.' R.E. Papers. Chatham 1876.

Has anyone actually seen this document ? If so how many pages does it contain ? Does it have diagrams or descriptions of the fortifications built along the route ?

The cost of travelling down from Sheffield to Chatham and accommodation to inspect it is a little bit expensive at the moment :roll: , so I would need to know if it was going to be worth it.

Any help would be very useful.

Mel .
Athelstan

Re: Document by R. Home in Royal Engineers Museum.

Postby Maureene » 28 Jan 2013 14:32

Hi Mel

The above paper is available to read online on Archive.org
http://archive.org/stream/nspapersonsub ... 3/mode/2up
page 85 Papers on subjects connected with the duties of the Corps of Royal Engineers Volume 23 1876

If the pages won't turn properly, (perhaps due to the map?) click on the icon for the single page (and then back to the double page if required)

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Re: Document by R. Home in Royal Engineers Museum.

Postby Athelstan » 29 Jan 2013 11:56

Hi Maureen :)

That's brill :D . I had a look at that late last night when I got home from work. It's got a great deal of info and drawings that are of use to me. Anyone whose interested in this campaign should read this document. It's also available to download as a Pdf file, so that's now on my flash drive.

If anyone hasn't been to the R.E. Museum there is a useful photo of one of the trussed girders being tried out at Upnor prior to being sent out to the Gold Coast, along with a very short section on the 1873 / 74 campaign on pages 50 -51 in the following book on the Royal Engineers. Joiner, J. H., 'One More River to Cross' 2001, Pen and Sword Books, Barnsley. Pages 31 - 33 have a section and photos of the Blanshard Pontoonshad that they had with them for crossing the Pra.

Thanks again Maureen.

Mel
Athelstan

Return to Ashantee Wars 1863-1900