HW Ravenscroft, CMG, ASC

For all discussions relating to the Second, Third, Fourth & Fifth Ashantee Wars fought between 1863 and 1900.

HW Ravenscroft, CMG, ASC

Postby red rags » 29 Sep 2012 18:34

Could any member advise of any source for an immage of the above officer?
red rags

Re: HW Ravenscroft, CMG, ASC

Postby Mark A. Reid » 29 Sep 2012 20:13

Hello red rags;

I just checked The Army Service Corps Journal, 1893-1914 and I'm afraid that no portrait appears of your man Ravenscroft. Not overly surprising really as the editorial emphasis seems to have been on football teams and heavy-handed Victorian humour like " The Long and the Short of it " which depicted a six-footer beside a tiny, newly-joined trumpeter.

Your best bet would probaly be to contact The Royal Logistic Corps Museum at Deepcut as they perpetuate the Army Service Corps and have a large collection of photographs and archives. They provide an on-line research service I believe but probably best to contact them first to ascertain costs, etc. Their Officers' Mess also contains a number of portraits and paintings so that might be another option. Good luck with your research.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby red rags » 01 Oct 2012 12:03

Thanks for that. He gets a mention in one of the 1892 ASC journals but I find MOD museums, especially the bigger Corps, have now little time for researchers! Twenty years ago one would get 9 replies to 10 letters, now it's more like 1 in 10, usually a brush off. There are exceptions, e.g the RIrF are superlative in knowledge & courtesy, & not just on their regiment I might add!
red rags

Postby swordcollector1 » 01 Oct 2012 15:10

Mark A. Reid wrote:Your best bet would probaly be to contact The Royal Logistic Corps Museum at Deepcut as they perpetuate the Army Service Corps and have a large collection of photographs and archives.

They're pretty hopeless, though - I sent an enquiry in April 2011 regarding some photographs which I know from the National Archives are in their collection, together with a cheque for £20 to cover scanning and emailing costs. They finally cashed the cheque in February this year(!), but I still haven't had any photos. Quite ironic for an organisation dealing with logistics! :)

John
swordcollector1

Postby Peter » 02 Oct 2012 06:55

red rags,

I wish you every success.

However, based on my experience (I'm a slow learner, I've written to them on a few occasion over the years), I can only endorse the comments regarding the appalling ignorance and manners of The Royal Logistic Corps Museum at Deepcut.

Peter
Peter

Return to Ashantee Wars 1863-1900