Captain Furse of the Black Watch and his photographs.

For all discussions relating to the Second, Third, Fourth & Fifth Ashantee Wars fought between 1863 and 1900.

Captain Furse of the Black Watch and his photographs.

Postby Athelstan » 24 Aug 2010 10:19

Hi again

Yet another enquiry. In Stanley's book Coomasie and Magdala, p160, there is a reference to Captain Furse because, "....He takes photographs, improves tents d'arbri to wall tents;......." . Given the limited number of photographs that I've seen that could be described as relating to this campaign, does anyone know if these photographs actually still exist, and / or what the subject matter was. (Please, please let it be of the camps on the road to Kumasi and their defenses. ) :D

I can not see him trying to set a plate camera up once past the main camp at Prahsu ( a modern Mamayia RB67 is bad enough in this country !), but for archaeological purposes some nice photos of defensive works or the huts themselves would be very useful and probably far more accurate than the drawings that were made.

As always any help would be extremely useful

Mel.
Athelstan

Re: Captain Furse of the Black Watch and his photographs.

Postby roconn » 13 Oct 2010 02:39

Mel:
Are you in-country Ghana right now? The Fort at Kumasi was a good source of informative photos at one time - the courtly old Ghanaian who looked after the collection allowed me at one time to photograph various pictures. E.g. The besieged officers and ladies, the gold shipments trekking through to the coast each bearer carrying a shoebox sized bullion box on his head whilst the Hausas armed with Sniders kept them in line. There's a wealth of stuff waiting to be examined both there and in the Officers Mess I would wager.
Also in the museum in Accra would be a helpful start. The bronze cannons outside were from McCarthy's era.
Cheers
roconn
roconn
Participating Member

Re: Captain Furse of the Black Watch and his photographs.

Postby Athelstan » 25 Oct 2010 10:38

Roconn

Wish I was over there. That's useful info. Now if only they'll answer the post or email I might find something out.

Ta anyway.

Mel.
Athelstan

Return to Ashantee Wars 1863-1900