Reference Sources

For all discussions relating to the Second, Third, Fourth & Fifth Ashantee Wars fought between 1863 and 1900.

Reference Sources

Postby DavidB » 03 May 2008 09:56

An excellent and stirring passage! Thank you for sharing, amoaful. I think it is time for me to read a bit more on this campaign. :D

Jonathan,
The 1873-74 campaign was the most significant, but even here there's a dearth of readily accessible material.
The best online resource is probably from the Northeast Medals site:
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britis ... 873_74.htm
Useful maps, a feature on the 4 VC winners and the collected official dispatches.

The campaign can be divided into 2 phases:
1. British amphibious landings in June 73 on the coast and several skirmishes and engagements (Elmina, Essaman etc) to push the Ashanti out of the coastal regions and back to their heartlands.
2. March of the British column from the coast into the Ashanti heartlands to the capital Coomassie. This phase included the battles of Amoaful and Ordahsu, plus other engagements at Dunquah, Fommanah, Borborassie and others.
I'll see if I can post a few brief details of some of these engagements.

Not specifically history related (and not the easiest to read), but some useful cultural background about the Ashanti including the Golden Stool. The last Anglo-Ashanti conflict in 1900 was provoked when the British resident in Kumasi made the high-handed decision to confiscate the Golden Stool. Not a clever move, as its the most sacred object to the Ashanti!
http://www.ashanti.com.au/pb/wp_8078438f.html
And the Ashanti capital Kumasi today:
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/g ... kumasi.php

Lastly for now, a picture tells a thousand words. There are some great images of the 73-74 war in the picture archives of the Illustrated London News. Type Ashanti (that spelling) into the search box and you'll get 76 images. Some really give a good sense of the jungle terrain the troops marched and fought through.
http://www.ilnpictures.co.uk/
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Re: Ashantee campaigns

Postby DavidB » 04 May 2008 10:20

A booklist for those interested in the Ashanti campaigns

Best basic introduction to the subject is perhaps Edgerton's:
Edgerton R.B. 1995. The Fall of the Asante Empire - The Hundred-Year War for Africa's Gold Coast. New York-Free Press
Lloyd A. 1964 The Drums of Kumase:The Story of the Ashanti Wars. London:Longmans

Ricketts H.J. 1831. Narrative of the Ashantee War.London:Simpkin & Marshall

Bowdich T.E. 1866. Mission from Cape Coast Castle to Ashantee. London:John Murray

Boyle F. 1874. Through Fanteeland to Coomassie: A Diary of the Ashantee Expedition. London:Chapman & Hall
* Brackenbury H. 1874. The Ashanti War (2 vols). Edinburgh and London: Blackwood
Dooner W.T. 1874. Jottings en route to Coomassie. London
* Henty G.A. 1874. The March to Coomassie. London:Tinsley Brothers
* Maurice J.F. 1874. The Ashantee War. London:Henry S.King
Reade W. 1874. The Story of the Ashantee Campaign. London:Smith, Elder
Saffell J.E. 1965. The Asante War of 1873-74. Ann Arbor, Mich. University Microfilms.
* Stanley H.M. 1874. Coomassie and Magdala: The Story of Two British Campaigns in Africa. New York:Harper
Wolseley G. 1903. The Story of a Soldier's Life (2 vols) Westminster:Archibald Constable
* Wood E. 1874. The Ashanti Expedition of 1873-74. London:Methuen

Baden-Powell R.S.S 1896. The Downfall of Prempeh: A Diary of Life with the Native Levy in Ashanti 1895-96. London:Methuen
Maxwell W. 1896. The Results of the Ashanti Expedition 1895-96. Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society XII 1-3, 37-54
McInnes I & Fraser M. 1987. Ashanti 1895-96. Chippenham:Picton (includes medal roll)
Musgrave G.C 1896. To Kumassi with Scott: A Description of a Journey from Liverpool to Kumassi with the Ashanti Expedition, 1895-96. London:Wightman

Armitage C.H & Montanaro A.F 1901. The Ashanti Campaign of 1900. London:Sands
Biss H.C.J 1901. The Relief of Kumasi. London:Methuen
Hodgson, Lady 1901. The Siege of Kumassi. London:C Arthur Pearson

Major Henry Brackenbury RA, Wolseley's Military Secretary
George Henty, war correspondent of the Standard
Lieut. John Frederick Maurice RA, Wolseley's Private Secretary
Henry Morton Stanley (the famous explorer of "Dr Livingstone I presume" fame"), war correspondent of the New York Herald
Colonel Henry Evelyn Wood VC (later Field Marshal)
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Garen » 04 May 2008 10:51

I just realised I have a book that might be of interest, and another officer who served in an Ashanti campaign (1900):

Willcocks, Sir James: From Kabul to Kumassi: Twenty-Four Years of Soldiering and Sport. John Murray. 1904.

It includes several chapters on his time in Africa, plus an Ashanti map and even some photos and drawings relating to the campaign. Willcocks' first saw service in the Afghan War (the reason I have his book).

The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Postby DavidB » 04 May 2008 13:27

Nice photos there Garen!
There were of course very few British officers and men involved in 1900, as there were more pressing issues elsewhere (Boer War for example :wink: )

I wonder which unit we're looking at with that chap in close-up?
I don't have a full list of units involved, but there were the Gold Coast Constabulary, Central African Regt, Kings African Rifles, West African Frontier Force etc.

Anyone know a good source of information for the uniforms of these units?
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Re: Reference Sources

Postby Peter Mc » 20 Aug 2008 21:15

Hi Amoaful73
I was very interested in your list of references to the Ashanti campaign of 1895-6. I'd like to track down some of these but maybe you could help me in narrowing my search. I have the Ashanti Star group to Andrew Bain, who was seconded from the R.I.Constabulary and served as Camp Commandant and also in a capacity in setting up the telegraphs. Is he mentioned in any of the following?
a) Maxwell W. 1896. The Results of the Ashanti Expedition 1895-96. Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society XII 1-3, 37-54
b) Musgrave G.C 1896. To Kumassi with Scott: A Description of a Journey from Liverpool to Kumassi with the Ashanti Expedition, 1895-96. London:Wightman

Incidentally, there is also another book by Col Hugh M Sinclair (Camp and Society; Chapman & Hall 1926) with a good chapter on Ashanti. Sinclair was Commandant Royal Engineers for the expedition.
Peter Mc
- Interested in anything relating to the Royal Irish Constabulary -
Visit my web site - The Royal Irish Constabulary Forum
Peter Mc

Re: Reference Sources

Postby Athelstan » 17 Aug 2010 12:36

Hi everyone.

Many of the reference books on the Ashanti wars can be found on the following site, www.archive.org. Some can be downloaded in pdf format, or where they are in print can be read online.

Alan Lloyd's book is entertaining, but leaves many battles out and is inaccurate on some subjects. One of the best I've found as an overview on the Ashanti Wars (and events between), is W. W. Claridge's two volumes, The History of the Gold Coast and Ashanti.

Life of Sir John Hawley Glover by Lady Glover is very useful for following Capt. Glover's column in the 1873 / 74 campaign.

Hope those are of use to someone.
Athelstan

Return to Ashantee Wars 1863-1900