Three Cheers for the Administrator

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Three Cheers for the Administrator

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 21 Mar 2014 21:39

I just wanted to post some feedback. I think that this forum is great and wanted to say a big "thank you" to the administrator and the moderators. Not to mention all the great people who are so active.

I've been spending over a year trying to research a Lieutenant in the Bengal Native Infantry as part of a family history search that includes quite a few British Military veterans. Without this forum, I would never have gotten as far as I have. Special thanks to Frogsmile, too, as he has really stuck with me through a lot of questions and posts. :)

So, thank you to all of you that make this possible. It's great to sit here in the US and be able to "talk" to everybody around the world. :)

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Re: Three Cheers for the Administrator

Postby swordcollector1 » 21 Mar 2014 23:59

It's great to have you here, Sarah - hope you're getting as much out of the Forum as we are from having you here! :)

John
swordcollector1

Postby Josh&Historyland » 22 Mar 2014 01:47

Hip hip Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

Happy to be a member.
Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby QSAMIKE » 22 Mar 2014 02:42

Yes three cheers for the Administrator and a big Bravo Zulu.....

And since there were two cats shown here I just had to get over this very hard day, just relax here in the sun......

Mike
Attachments
MERLIN 1 (201x279).jpg
MERLIN 1 (201x279).jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby Stuart_Bates » 22 Mar 2014 05:44

Cannot but agree that this is one of the best forums, and since there are three cats shown I just have to include my Mango.

Stuart
Mango smaller.jpg
Mango smaller.jpg (250.52 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Well this has opened a four-legged Pandora's box so here are my Jack & Doris now sadly departed. (Sorry about the quality).
Jack and Doris about 9 weeks old small.jpg
Jack and Doris about 9 weeks old small.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Last edited by Stuart_Bates on 23 Mar 2014 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 22 Mar 2014 11:12

Glad you are enjoying the forum, Sarah et al. :D Personally I would also like to thank all our members for their contributions that have made this such a great place to spend our virtual time.

And as to cats, here is my cheeky chappie Gandalf.

Mark

Gandalf.jpg
Gandalf.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 22 Mar 2014 14:03

Wow! It is so fun to see how many nice pets are represented here. :)

This is a great forum, and I am just so thrilled to be able to "talk" with all of you who are so knowledgeable and helpful. I've also enjoyed helping to find soldiers, as I just love "searching" and learning about some of these forgotten guys.

Mark: Your Gandalf is quite a cutie. I see that Tolkien has been the inspiration for plenty of pet names. My cat (as seen in my avatar) is named Samwise. His brother is named Frodo. :) Here is a real picture of Sammy (everyone say "awwww"), and a picture of Samwise and Frodo as kittens.

BingandNelsonFan

Postby acanthus » 22 Mar 2014 19:00

I can't add much more than to agree with the many compliments regarding the forum and administrator other than to say that it's a real bonus being a member, as it gives us all the opportunity of reaching people who have more knowledge on specific subjects than ourselves, Also a vote of thanks to Sarah who has given me a huge amount of help in sorting out the family of an officer of the Bengal Cavalry.

Sorry I can't add to the gallery of four legged friends.

Gordon
acanthus

Postby swordcollector1 » 22 Mar 2014 23:38

Always nice to see members' "other" families - here are Lottie, our German Shorthaired Pointer of 10 years' standing, together with her new sister Phoebe, who we picked up last week!
Attachments
DSCN7252b.jpg
DSCN7252b.jpg (158.26 KiB) Viewed 966 times
swordcollector1

Postby GrantRCanada » 23 Mar 2014 17:00

My wife and I no longer have any pets, but here is our "grand-dog" Murphy, who spends a lot of time with us .... a Schnauzer/Wire Haired Terrier cross, and quite a character -

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Jonathan » 23 Mar 2014 17:57

Stripes, the youngest and most eccentric of our two cats, likes to help me delete spammers. Lucy, our Siamese beauty, wants nothing to do with him.
Attachments
Stripes.jpg
Stripes.jpg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby rclpillinger » 23 Mar 2014 22:07

I must echo the praises for the Administrators and Moderators, and say what a brilliant and enjoyable way to pool all the voluminous fountain of knowledge thus allowing us lesser mortals access to depths of information that we would otherwise never be able to reach.

Also, we can't let the wonderful German Pointers have it all their own way. One of my ENGLISH Pointers also is keen to be part of this Forum. This is Norman, ready for a hard day's work.
Attachments
Norman 1.JPG
Norman 1.JPG (122.19 KiB) Viewed 933 times
rclpillinger

Postby Les Waring » 24 Mar 2014 00:23

As one owing a special debt of gratitude to both Staff and Rank-and-File of the Forum for furthering my research over the last two years I’d like to add my heartfelt vote of thanks to you all.

No pets unfortunately, though we were trying to organize a photo of 1st Battalion (Flying Column) Royal Regt. of Garden Birds (‘Waring’s Wings’) at Feeding Time - 06:30 hs. - this morning.

Unfortunately, an incursion by hostile feral pigeons had to be repelled at that time. It is gratifying to report that the battalion performed well in this action; the enemy being given the turn about in quick order and escaping with only a few crumbs of comfort. The bulk of the provisions were saved by the alacrity of Quarter-Master E.A.R. Dove, who ate them while the rest of the battalion was facing the enemy.

L. 'Early Bird' Waring (Flight Lieutenant & Officer Commanding)
Les Waring

Postby Mark A. Reid » 24 Mar 2014 03:01

Come along now chaps, less of this anthropomorphic nonsense about beloved animals, this is a serious forum for serious study. Further to that end I attach an image of someone who has mentored me through many years study and even some publishing, as well as some very enjoyable hours on this forum.

My wife and I support a number of endangered species, including the Tapir, and a friend created a life-size trophy ( in papier mache ) that now resides on our living room wall. As you might notice, he can sport a variety of seasonal headdress and, on this occasion, the medals of a soldier in the Egyptian Army. He has been known, on occasion, to wear an 1885 F.S. helmet, an 1897 pillbox cap and, to keep the Senior Service content, a seaman's cap bearing an H.M.S. TAPIR cap tally.

Now that we have returned to a more Victorian focus, let me publicly thank Mark for all his efforts in establishing and maintaining this wonderful venue for like-minded people.

Cheers,

Mark
Attachments
Christmas Tapir - Copy.JPG
Christmas Tapir - Copy.JPG (21.67 KiB) Viewed 922 times
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Mar 2014 14:21

Just want to add my approbation to the general spirit of this thread. Thank you Mark for creating such a great forum where we can all gather, and also kudos to the moderators who carry out their task with such aplomb and good judgement.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Feedback & Suggestions