Foreign War Suggestion.

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Foreign War Suggestion.

Postby Josh&Historyland » 11 May 2013 23:00

Administrator, Moderators and Members.

I wonder if I might be given the liberty to propose an idea. I know that there are members on the forum who have an interests in the conflicts fought in Europe and America by foreign powers. And though I understnad that this site is for the discussion of those wars fought by the British during the reign of Queen Victoria, there is a huge amount of people who would benefit from a place to discuss the varying conflicts fought abroad. To name a few of the major ones:

The Carlist Wars.
The Italian Wars of Independence.
The American Civil War.
The Franco Prussian War. 

This would obviously open the forum to a wider base of interest. The numbers of people who study the American Civil War alone is large in Britain and Huge in America, opening the possibility of further member growth. But it would also bring these people into contact with subjects they had hitherto not known about and vice versa. A sub-forum for the Edwardian pre WW1 period has been added, and I am not questioning it's validity, merely stating a precedent. And will finish by saying; that It cannot be argued that these wars above mentioned and many more where not fought in Victorian Era. 

I would like to stress that I have no wish to tamper with the established spirit of the forum, nor do I have any complaints about the format. It was just an idea I had to make it even bigger and allow more people to benefit from it. There are a few forums that cover the for instance ACW, but they appear to all be American and any forums covering the Franco Prussian, Italian and Carlist wars will not be first language English, but I am not suggesting we replace such sites, merley that we do a small experiment to see what happens.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Re: Foreign War Suggestion.

Postby Mark » 14 May 2013 19:08

Hi Josh

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts on this issue. The idea of expanding the focus of the forum was discussed a while back and has again been discussed by the forum staff. However, we feel opening up the forum to 'foreign' wars in which Britain (nor any part of her empire) did not play an active role is not for us. The number of wars and campaigns (not to mention new sub-forums) would be endless and potentially could overwhelm the forum and completely change the nature of the site.

All that said I, as I am sure are many other members, also have an interest in foreign wars such as the US Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War etc. As such I am more than happy to list any links to other forums that cover these wars if members know of any.

Mark :)
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » 19 May 2013 20:59

Sorry I didn't get back sooner Mark. I must have missed your reply, rather proving the whole overwhelming thing. I was just thinking how fast things move on this forum. A post lasts at the top of the active list for maybe a day if people latch on and by the next it's half way down the page depending on how many other posts are more popular. So I quite understand.

I'll keep an eye out for interesting websites for that link idea.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 19 May 2013 21:28

Hi Josh

We welcome ideas so please keep them coming! I also know what you mean about it being easy to miss replies etc. I regularly use the 'View your posts' and 'View active topics' links to help me keep up.

The world of internet fora would benefit from forums dedicated to the US Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War etc. They might exist but I don't personally know of any.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Feedback & Suggestions