Promoting the Forum

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Promoting the Forum

Postby Mark » 11 Sep 2007 22:39

As with any new forum the first few months are always slow until things finally begin to take off.

Just a reminder to exisiting members to tell everyone you know with similar interests about the VWF.

The more genuinely interested guys and girls we can get to sign up the better an experience it will be for all of us.

Mark
Forum Administrator & Owner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Promoting the Forum

Postby Mark » 30 Sep 2007 22:58

Hi all

It has been a little quiet the past couple of weeks, although that is to be expect in the first few months in a new forum's life, and I was wondering if existing members had an suggestions as how to promote the Forum? There will be many Victorian period historians etc. with an interest but we need to reach out to them.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Promoting the Forum

Postby Jonathan » 16 Nov 2007 20:31

If we have friends or acquaintances, perhaps from other internet fora, with an interest in some aspect of Victorian militaria and history we should invite them to join the site. I have pointed-out this site to a few fellow Victorian sword collectors that participate at Sword Forum International, and I believe one has already joined.

If anyone here is a dealer or is acquainted with a dealer of militaria, perhaps this forum could be added to a links section. The same could be said for reenactment group websites, etc.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 17 Nov 2007 16:02

Jonathan

Thank you very much for letting your fellow sword collecting friends know about this forum, I hope they find it interesting and also spread the word further.

I will be looking around at what other related forums there are any maybe ask the respective owners if they would be prepared to do some sort of links exchange or similar.

If anyone knows of any Victorian period British militaria dealers anywhere in the world please do let me know. I am always happy to link to them if they are willing to do the same in return.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 18 Nov 2007 01:38

The Victorian Military Society might be a good place to start, as would any number of the sites listed in their links section, here. Additionally, any of the sites mentioned in the "useful Links" section of this forum, especially a site like http://www.regiments.org.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonathan » 01 May 2008 03:05

Now that the VWF is back I think the topic deserves a bump. Are there any sites that have been contacted about a links exchange? How about related forums like Rourke's Drift VC forums, British Militaria Forum, British Medals Forum, etc.? I am happy to help with promotional efforts in any way I can. :D

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 01 May 2008 08:58

Hi Jonathan

When the VWF was first set up a number of web site owners were contacted for a links exchange and a few exchanges were indeed made - a good example being Garen and his wonderful Anglo-Afghan War site.

However it doesn't hurt to contact them again and as many others as we think would be interested in an exchange.

Feel free to promote away :D

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Unknownsoldier » 16 Jul 2008 10:06

I'll give the guys at the BMBF (nilitary badge forum a pm and ask if they will let us on their site).

Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Unknownsoldier » 16 Jul 2008 10:11

Just done, lets see how it goes.

Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Unknownsoldier » 16 Jul 2008 11:30

Done, link added there.

Tom
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 16 Jul 2008 13:22

Unknownsoldier wrote:Done, link added there.

Tom

Nice one Tom, many thanks for your help.

Mark :)
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Unknownsoldier » 16 Jul 2008 13:50

Mark,

No worries. :-)

ATB,
Tom
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Liz » 17 Jul 2008 04:21

Dare I mention Wikipedia? I know Garen's website http://www.angloafghanwar.info gets at least one mention on it and would be interested to know whether this has generated significant through traffic to his site.

If so, there may be topics where VWF members could, over time, consider adding useful info and links. Regimental histories would be one obvious area - check out Wikipedia's bare bones history of the 3rd light dragoons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Light_Dragoons.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 17 Jul 2008 08:33

Liz

I like your thinking, I might do an article on one of the Staffordshire Regiments in the Indian Mutiny or similar and link back to the VWF.

Anyone else use / write articles for Wikipedia?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Unknownsoldier » 17 Jul 2008 10:01

There are a fair few medals missing form the victorian section on there, perhaps an addition to one of the other none wirtten about medals may give an opportunity for a link??

Tom
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Next

Return to Feedback & Suggestions