Promoting the Forum

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: Promoting the Forum

Postby Garen » 17 Jul 2008 13:33

Liz wrote:Dare I mention Wikipedia? I know Garen's website http://www.angloafghanwar.info gets at least one mention on it and would be interested to know whether this has generated significant through traffic to his site.

I don't keep a very close eye on my stats, but I do get a few hits via the Wikipedia articles where people have linked to my site. You have to be careful, of course, as it is rather frowned upon to use Wikipedia as a bit of sly self-promotion.

I did do a bit of editing on Wkipedia in relation to the 2nd Afghan War but found the job would be too immense, so abandoned the idea. Once I added a link to my own site because I felt editing someone's poor research would just result in me re-writing something I'd already put in the hours on my site. But now I just leave it! There are quite a few links that others have added pointing to my site.

I'm not sure how the VW forum could be cited as a legitimate source for extra information on a particular topic, as a forum by its nature is an on-going, somewhat hickledy-pickledy conversation full of trials and tribulations to eke out the facts. That doesn't mean there aren't a few posts on this forum that are pure gold dust in terms of big chunks of solid information - because there are some excellent ones that could be collected into a book and would add to any library, but generally information on a forum isn't presented that way.
The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Postby Liz » 18 Jul 2008 01:17

Garen wrote:I'm not sure how the VW forum could be cited as a legitimate source for extra information on a particular topic, as a forum by its nature is an on-going, somewhat hickledy-pickledy conversation full of trials and tribulations to eke out the facts. That doesn't mean there aren't a few posts on this forum that are pure gold dust in terms of big chunks of solid information - because there are some excellent ones that could be collected into a book and would add to any library, but generally information on a forum isn't presented that way.

Agreed, any cross-referencing would need to be done very selectively. There's no point in taking the time to add info/links to Wikipedia if others find it inappropriate/unhelpful and then edit it out again. And I personally don't expect to have the time for it anytime short of a major lottery win 8).
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 10 Oct 2008 13:31

Hi all

Just a reminder that you are the best recuiters for potential new members of the forum. If you know anyone who may have an interest in the VWF please do let them know.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Feedback & Suggestions