Forum structure: your likes, dislikes and suggestions

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: Forum structure: your likes, dislikes and suggestions

Postby Jonathan » 22 May 2009 15:15

Sounds fine to me.
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonathan » 22 May 2009 18:39

On second thought it feels weird to have a sub-forum covering the entire VWF time frame, minus one year. Why not just include it? Poor lonely 1837... :(
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 22 May 2009 23:08

Jonathan

That would also work just fine :lol:

Ok, lets just go with 1837 to 1913 then which covers the whole period of interest to the VWF.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Royal Marines

Postby Hank » 16 Mar 2010 16:31

Though most of the world considers the Marines a dingus attached to the Department of the Navy it might be useful on this board for the Royal Marines to have a page of their own. Just a thought.

Regarding the milestone, glad to read that folks are using this useful historical venue. I don't eat candy and I still have my coonskin hat, I'll be quite pleased with just keeping things going. Regards
Hank

Family research?

Postby QSVC » 23 Mar 2010 01:31

There seems to be an increase in postings relating to enquiries for family research, should there be a seperate page for these enquiries or perhaps a list of websites for those wishing to find out more about their relatives military service??

Just a thought........I know I've opened a few of these lately thinking its new information only to find its a new enquiry instead and probably not the aim of this site.

Robert
QSVC

Re: Family research?

Postby Garen » 23 Mar 2010 11:48

Hello Robert

That's why the Researching individual soldiers and sailors section was set up, really. The Introduction topic is there to provide a bit of research advice and some links to give a start (any more prime links are welcome, but we want to keep it as simple as possible - the W097 link is usually the first answer to most enquiries!).

I think the forum is a great place for people to come with family history queries. Sometimes someone can help (in fact 9 times out of 10, I'd say, people go away with some new information for their research), and sometimes not.

All best - Garen
The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 www.angloafghanwar.info
Garen
Forum Moderator

Re: Family research?

Postby SWB » 23 Mar 2010 11:50

There is a specific Board for family research posts: Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors. On it is a good guide for family reseachers that answers many of the questions posters ask.

One can't do more.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Aurelius3 » 20 Aug 2010 18:16

Mark, I am new to the forum and enjoy very much the intuitive nature of your site. It is very easy to get around in it. I especially love the avatars and how fast it is to make posts and read others' posts.
Aurelius3

Postby Mark » 23 Aug 2010 19:50

Aurelius3 wrote:Mark, I am new to the forum and enjoy very much the intuitive nature of your site. It is very easy to get around in it. I especially love the avatars and how fast it is to make posts and read others' posts.

Glad you are enjoying the forum, Aurelius3! It took a while to design and then tweak but I think we pretty much have the mix right now. That said we are always looking to improve and open to suggestion.

Mark :)
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Stuart_Bates » 24 Dec 2011 02:12

It seems that when someone posts on a Collector's Showcase this is not reflected in the Active Topics. Can this be changed?

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Cathey Brimage » 24 Dec 2011 02:24

Hi Stuart, I always thought they did appear in active topics, but if they don’t then that is a good idea.

Cheers Cathey
Cathey Brimage

Postby Mark » 24 Dec 2011 02:30

Stuart_Bates wrote:It seems that when someone posts on a Collector's Showcase this is not reflected in the Active Topics. Can this be changed?

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart

It can and was originally excluded following the concerns of some members who have showcases - particulary the medal collectors. There have been some horror stories (not on this but on other forums) that non-members/guests found such medals in searches on the internet then claimed they had been stolen or that they were family members and demanded them back - all usually without proof - but then harassed the owners. To that end the collectors showcase section was excluded from view by non-members and search engines etc. to keep it on a lower profile. I know this sounds odd for a public forum but you at least have to be a member to view them and they cannot be found in Google etc.

We can make them appear in the active topics section if members are happy for this to happen. It will, however, make them a little more visible.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Stuart_Bates » 24 Dec 2011 02:40

Hi Mark,

I can see the reasoning but this is a public forum and we would not publish our collections if we were that concerned about public exposure. Perhaps Showcases being shown in Active topics could be restricted to members only.

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 24 Dec 2011 13:22

Ok then if members are happy for this to happen it is ok with me. Are there any objections to collector showcases appearing in the actvie topics?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 24 Dec 2011 21:36

I just went to "Collectors Showcase"...I had been there before but FORGOT about it. It is great but it needs to be "cleaned up" as there are missing pictures and drop-outs who have left the forum and deleated their posts.

The "hit" counters are not working so some of these showcases have low hit numbers. Maybe because this topic is hidden so-to-speak. It is like an orphaned forum child.

EDIT: Ther are no hit (View) numbers in this showcase topic. it is slightly structured differently.

I think Stuart's idea is a great one as it will give more acessability when someone adds a piece or posts a reply. Like I previously stated, I had forgotton about this topic. "Out of sight is out of mind".

I certainly have no objection to making the topic public. Many medals have been posted on other topics with no problem. The chances of someone trying to claim a forum members items is small, and any form of correspondence through private message or other means by some guy or gal claiming a piece should just be IGNORED. This is cyberland and people can do all sorts of nutty things anonomusly. It is amazing how people are fearfull of an anonomus threat coming from cyberland. It is also amazing how people are afraid to simply hang up the telephone when some soliciter (salsesman) calls. If someone is giong to take up my time on a subject or claim I am not interested about, I either want to get paid US$ to listen or I will simply hang up the phone. Our time is worth money.

I felt the same way about being paid money after viewing the Heath ledger, 2003 re-make of "The Four Feathers" in a theatre. At 2 hours and 12 minutes, I figure Paramout studios owes me $216! (A lot of money...But I work "on call" in a skilled trade and sometimes the phone doesn't ring as often as I want.)
ED, in Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & Suggestions