Forum structure: your likes, dislikes and suggestions

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: Forum Structure

Postby Jonathan » 17 Jul 2008 15:11

I very much appreciate the guide that Tom is putting together. It may not be as easy to navigate as a dedicated website would be, but Tom has done a very nice job given that he is presenting this information in a thread on a forum. I suggest that if one is interested in delving deeper into medals that he or she consult some of the medals websites including British Medal Forum,or Mark’s British Medals or Jim Murray’s British Medals resource sites.

I think that an over-abundance of sub-fora can fragment an online community. In my opinion, the VWF has plenty of sub-fora that are both broad enough and focused enough to accommodate any discussion related to Victorian military history. If we were to dedicate sub-fora for each medal, then we may need to do the same for each type of weapon, each piece of equipment, etc. Also, there is much medal information that can be gleaned from a visit to the Collector’s Showcase.

So after all that rambling, my point is that Tom has done a nice job, I appreciate the suggestion for more specific medal info, and I think that the VWF does not need new sub-fora at this point, especially since other websites cover medals more than adequately. :)

All the best,
Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Unknownsoldier » 17 Jul 2008 17:09

Hi,

Thanks for the appreciation :-) I'm going with whatever everyone else wants to do ;-) I agree, also some of us are knowledgable on medals and others on guns badges button etc. etc. etc. so if anyone wants to go further or is having real trouble then they can post a question, and I'm sure one of us will jump in and help them out. :-)

ATB,
Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Jonathan » 17 Jul 2008 17:27

Just to clarify, I have nothing against medals! I like them more and more each day! :D
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Unknownsoldier » 17 Jul 2008 17:33

Unlike my gf who hates them and me more everytime I mention them.... ;-)

Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 17 Jul 2008 18:00

Hello all

Thank you for you toughts, suggestions and comments - they are all much appreciated.

The issue of medals has been discussed between the forum staff but we feel it would not be quite appropriate to set up a devoted sub-forum just for medals. One of the main reasons behind this is the fact that a very successful medal forum (the British Medal Forum) already exists and many of us here are already members. While discussions on medals are more than welcome here (afterall I am a medal collector myself) we also have the remit to discuss many many other items such as uniforms, badges, buttons, weapons etc. etc. If we setup a dedicated medal section with sub-forums would we not end up doing the same for other items that members collect? The process could be endless and too complicated.

I hope everyone understands our point of view but please let me thank you all for your posts above. We do genuinely appreciate your ideas and suggestions and we take them all seriously. We are all part of this interesting online community and together we make the VWF a great place to spend our spare time.

Mark :)
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Liz » 18 Jul 2008 00:58

Thanks all. Not being a medal collector, I'm not across what (other) forums are out there for discussion of medals, badges etc. and I appreciate forum members taking the time to point me and others in their direction where they exist :D .
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Keith Smith » 20 Nov 2008 01:24

As a newbie to this site, might I suggest that the South African sub-forum be re-dated 1799-1878. This would allow it to contain details of all nine of the Frontier Wars and other interesting stuff. 1879 belongs, of course, in the existing Zulu and Sekukuni forum.

KIS
Keith Smith

Postby Mark » 24 Nov 2008 20:04

Keith Smith wrote:As a newbie to this site, might I suggest that the South African sub-forum be re-dated 1799-1878. This would allow it to contain details of all nine of the Frontier Wars and other interesting stuff. 1879 belongs, of course, in the existing Zulu and Sekukuni forum.

KIS

Hi Keith

Newbie or veteran, all comments and suggestions for improvements are warmly welcomed :)

The focus of the forum is the Victorian period - i.e. 1837 to 1901 - but we have moved the boundaries either side sligtly to fit campaigns that were Victorian in nature and seldom covered elsewhere (i.e. Edwardian campaigns) or some that had a direct influence to the Victorian perod (i.e. the South African campaign of 1834-35 - which I have considered dropping). However if we push these boundaries any further out we run the risk of the forum losing it's intended focus so I would personally be reluctant to stretch it to 1799 which is some 38 years before Queen Victoria came to the throne. If we did we would end up in the territory of the Napoleonic wars etc.

How do other members feel?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Toy/Model Soldiers and Wargaming

Postby Mark » 06 Jan 2009 00:01

I have noticed a number of members have an interest in toy / model soldiers and wargaming for the Victorian period.

Is this something members would like a dedicated section for in the "Other" sub-forum? Is there enough interest?

Let me know your thoughts guys as this is one area of studying / collecting to the Victorian period I never considered when setting up this forum!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Toy/Model Soldiers and Wargaming

Postby hodekin » 06 Jan 2009 07:41

Hello Mark,

I for one would welcome a sub forum dedicated to wargaming and collecting model soldiers of the Victorian period.

Ken.
The barbarities of war are seldom committed by abnormal men. The tragedy of war is that these horrors are committed by normal men in abnormal situations.
hodekin

Postby Mark » 06 Jan 2009 14:28

Cheers Ken :)

Anyone else interested? I'm sure we can get something up and running!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Theo » 09 Jan 2009 18:56

Guys,

I'd be interested, too.

Theo
Theo

Postby Mark » 09 Jan 2009 23:20

Hi guys

I have been having a look around and toy soldiers and war gaming are certainly popular! It also appears the Victorian period has quite a strong following so I am sure we can set something up.

Watch this space! :D

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 10 Jan 2009 01:28

Here you go guys: viewforum.php?f=73

Hope you enjoy and make good use of it :)

If you have any friends interested in Victorian related toy soldiers and/or wargaming please do let them know about the forum.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Forum structure: your likes, dislikes and suggestions

Postby tupara » 05 May 2009 00:43

I am a little curious about the title given to the section on the New Zealand Wars. It seems to have reverted back to the obsolete term, 'Maori Wars'; in New Zealand they are known as the New Zealand Wars.
Then there is the division of the conflicts into a 'first' and 'second' war and the dates given. The New Zealand Wars consisted of five seperate major (and a number of lesser) conflicts:
The Northland War 1845-46,
The North Taranaki War 1860-61,
The Invasion of the Waikato 1863-64,
The South Taranaki War 1864-69,
The East Coast War 1867-72.
tupara

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & Suggestions