Forum structure: your likes, dislikes and suggestions

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Forum structure: your likes, dislikes and suggestions

Postby Mark » 02 Sep 2007 13:38

How do members feel about the current structure of the Forum as regards to its different sections and sub-sections?

Anything seem incorrect or out of place? Anything missing? What do you like and dislike?

Mark
Forum Administrator & Owner
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Collector Showcases

Postby Mark » 25 Nov 2007 13:50

Hi all

After the recent threads on Artillery swords and medals I was wondering what members think about the setting up of some showcases? That is a forum where members can post images and information of any "original" British military items they have from the Victorian period. Each collector would receive their own showcase and be able to post whatever they want for others to see.

There is a similar set of showcases on the British Medal Forum which displays my medal collecton. The principle would be the same on the Victorian Wars Forum but could include anything from swords, rifles to uniforms etc. etc. As long as it is original, British military and from the Victorian era it is welcome.

Let me know what you think.

Regards

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Collector Showcases

Postby Jonathan » 25 Nov 2007 16:05

Mark,
I think the showcase is a great idea. Members can enjoy sharing their collections with fellow enthusiasts, and everyone will benefit from the discussions generated.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 26 Nov 2007 16:51

I have decided to go ahead with the collector showcases and set one up myself to display my Victorian medal collection. Jonathan has also set one up for his sword and bayonet collection which is looking great already.

If anyone else would like a showcase please drop me a PM with a one line description of what it will contain.

Regards

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby IanR » 27 Nov 2007 13:10

That's a good idea Mark. As soon as I can get things organised with pictures, text etc. I would like a showcase.
Ian
IanR

Postby Mark » 27 Nov 2007 14:48

IanR wrote:That's a good idea Mark. As soon as I can get things organised with pictures, text etc. I would like a showcase.

Hi Ian

I have set you up a showcase for when you are ready to post. Just let me have a short sentence / description of what you want it to contain similar to the others already set up.

Looking forward to seeing what you post.

Regards

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Forum Structure

Postby Adam Brown » 22 Jan 2008 15:40

Should the First Boer War (1880-81) be covered by the section already set up for the Boer War 1899-1902?

The precedence has been set already on the forum for the Egypt & Sudan and China sections.

Otherwise any posts on the First Boer War will need to go in the Other Campaigns section.

It might also be worth mentioning on the description of the China Wars that the 3rd China War is aka the Boxer Rebellion

Regards

Adam
Adam Brown

Postby Mark » 22 Jan 2008 18:48

Hi Adam

I agree that the First and Second Boer Wars should be together. I have been thinking I ought to change it for a while but never got around to changing it. However I have done now.

I also agree about adding the Boxer Rebellion to the Third China War which I also have done.

Thanks for the comments, please do keep them coming if you spot anything else.

Regards

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

our own travel photos

Postby DavidB » 06 May 2008 17:05

I don't know what people think, or what might be the most appropriate place to post them (just under each relevant campaign?) but suddenly thought I have a few photos of my own of Balaklava and Sebastopol from when I was in the Ukraine a few years back.

I for one would love to see any modern colour photos of various battle sites etc and how they look today.
Would there be any issues with file sizes/server space if we were to post a lot of photos?
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Re: our own travel photos

Postby Mark » 06 May 2008 17:13

amoaful73

I think that is actually a great idea! I for one would love to see the pics. There shouldn't be any issue with server space as the package we currently have is quite a good spec - plus we can always upgrade for more space/bandwidth when the time comes.

So what do members think of a "Victorian Battlefields Today" section? Or how about a "Battlefields Then & Now" section with old and new pics? You could take it a step further and maybe include military maps of the battlefields too showing the dispositions of the British and enemy forces.

Let me know your suggestions ladies and gents.

Mark :)
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Jonathan » 06 May 2008 17:21

I think this is a brilliant idea! I like the "Then and Now" theme for a forum.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 06 May 2008 19:18

Ok guys I like this idea so I have set up the following section:

viewforum.php?f=58

If you have any photos or maps please do post them.

Mark :)
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby maiwander » 07 May 2008 18:26

Good idea - I think using the Battlefields Now & Then would be a good title.
Would be most interesting and informative and compliment the site.
Mawiander
They should have died in their own loved land.
With friends and kinsmen near them.
Not withered thus on a foreign strand,
With no thought, save heaven to cheer them.
Private H. Cooper 1st Batt. 5th Northumberland Fusiliers 1880
maiwander
Honorary Academic Advisor

Re: Forum Structure - suggestion for new medal-specific forum

Postby Liz » 17 Jul 2008 09:23

Unknownsoldier has just made a series of 40+ postings on the various medals issued in the Victorian era at http://www.victorianwars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=548.

It's REALLY handy but I'm wondering whether there might be a better way of presenting this info. In particular, I'd like to suggest a dedicated medals forum where each medal gets its own topic.

I know we already have a forum for Uniforms, insignia and Medals at http://www.victorianwars.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19. I'd be proposing that we rename that forum and that the handful of medal-related postings there be moved to the new forum.

Views? Alternative suggestions? Unknownsoldier's posted a wealth of info and I'm keen to ensure that any discussion threads arising from it are easy to follow.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Unknownsoldier » 17 Jul 2008 10:00

Yeah that sounds cool, Ionly put it there as there was nowhere else that fitted the bill, and that new members might look in on.... so perhaps like the 'others' have a resource section where people could post guides like Militia cap badges or even, just for you Liz ;-) Proficiency badges of the Crimean War (btw do you collect such insignia??), etc. etc.

Seems like this could make for an interesting new section, not quite a journal article (as that has to be personal and a sort of first in it's field, but more a general info section, perhaps added to the Id'ing photo section, for people to use when researching old photo's???).

ATB,
Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Next

Return to Feedback & Suggestions