What would you like to see on the forum?

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

What would you like to see on the forum?

Postby Mark » 02 May 2010 12:43

Hello All

While I would like to think that the Victorian Wars Forum has evolved over the past couple of years into something that is "just about right" I also recognise there is always room for improvement and new ideas. So the question is what would you like to see on the forum? Perhaps you use another forum and there are certain facilities or modifications on them that you find useful there but are not installed here? Maybe there are things we have missed out or there are areas of study or new sub-forums you would liked added in? Would you like to get the VWF involved in a research project of your own such as the Maiwand Journal did?

The forum staff and I are always open minded regarding suggestions and fresh ideas so please take this opportunity to let us know what you think. I cannot promise to implement all suggestions (some might not be possible for whatever reason) but I do promise to give it serious consideration and look at it closely.

Over to you ladies and gentlemen :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: What would you like to see on the forum?

Postby GrantRCanada » 02 May 2010 16:39

Mark:

Well, since you ask ..... ( :wink: ) ..... right from first joining this forum it has always vaguely bothered me that the "Canada" forum is tagged with 1885 as an end date, impliedly excluding the decade and a half remaining in the Victorian Era.

I do realize that the date was likely inserted because 1885 marked the last "war or campaign" in Canada .... but Militia activity certainly didn't cease then (although, for a while, it admittedly entered one of its periods of lack of interest and support) and, of course, there is another dedicated forum where Canadian mobilization and service during the Second Boer War can be discussed.

One good example of an interesting Late Victorian Canadian topic for discussion would be the formation and service of the Yukon Field Force, 1898-1900. Nothing saying such a topic couldn't be pursued under the existing forum name anyway, but ........
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 02 May 2010 16:52

Hi Grant

Yes I can see what you mean! When the Wars & Campaigns sub-forums were set up we only took into account the actual campaigns fought and the years they took place. However, we obviously did not consider other minor operations such as the Yukon Field Force durng the Klondike Gold Rush.

If this were to be amended to cover the full Victorian period (i.e. 1837-1901) how do you think we should amend the sub-forum description? Currently it says:

"For all discussions relating to the Revolts in Upper and Lower Canada of 1837, the Fenian Raids of 1866 and 1870, the Red River Expedition of 1870 and Riel's Rebellion of 1885."

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby GrantRCanada » 02 May 2010 17:22

Mark:

A minor change would suffice, I should think. Something like:
For all discussions relating to military activities in Canada, including the Revolts in Upper and Lower Canada of 1837, the Fenian Raids of 1866 and 1870, the Red River Expedition of 1870 and the North West Rebellion of 1885.

Needless to say, any Canadian participation in military activity outside Canada - such as Boer War service already mentioned, or the corps of Canadian boatmen on the Nile Expedition - can be discussed on another suitable forum (.... although it would hopefully be acceptable to make a short post on the Canada forum, linking to the topic, to alert "Canadian" members who might not otherwise see it on that other forum.)

Although not contemplated in my original post, while we are at it I suggest the second change highlighted above because I think the current wording assigns too much credit/blame to Riel. The underlying grievances were widespread, and were certainly serious enough to result in the armed insurrection which ultimately occurred ..... Riel, arguably, was merely a catalyst, who was invited back to the North West Territories by the Métis to espouse their cause, and who initially urged further peaceable communications with Ottawa as the best means of addressing the issues. (By the same token, I would certainly oppose calling it the "North West Resistance", as too many have begun to call it of late! :D )
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 02 May 2010 21:44

Grant

Your suggestion is now under discussion by the forum staff :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Norwood » 02 May 2010 21:55

My 2 Bob's worth .... I like the forum ... I have learnt alot.

Thank you

Norwood
John Norwood VC
Boer War
Ralph Legge Pomeroy
Norwood

Postby Mark » 02 May 2010 23:49

Norwood wrote:My 2 Bob's worth .... I like the forum ... I have learnt alot.

Thank you

Norwood

Hi Norwood

Glad to hear the forum has been good for you! I hope it remains to be so for a long time to come :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jersey » 02 May 2010 23:55

Mark,
I would like the view new posts section to be left on a little (much) longer than it is at present. If I can't manage to get onto the forum early in the morning
Aust time they disappear and one has to look thru the forum for new posts which is rather time consuming. I assume that this section is time driven and could be a
problem to fix what with members all over the world. Otherwise I am happy with the presentation.
David
jersey

Postby Mark » 03 May 2010 12:35

Hi David

I don't recall seeing anything in the forum administration tools to set/alter the length of time regulating the new post link. However, I will look into it for you and have a look on the phpBB support forums for advice.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 03 May 2010 12:42

The following email was received from member mcvandinter:

I would like to see more information about medical care to the soldiers.

I thought I'd post this one here along with the other suggestions.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SteveMc1958 » 03 May 2010 20:58

Mark

I think the forum is terrific and I was very pleased to have found it. Having made a few posts myself, I've also begun to feel a part of the family. I have particulatly welcomed the very friendly advise and response I have had from a number of members.

I have a couple of thoughts about possible improvements. The first, I fully recognise, is outwith the "rules" within which the forum is managed and thus you may well reject it (so be it!!). That is the restriction to British Miltary Campaigns - which I wholly accept provides a very clear focus for material - has occassionally felt a little too restrictive to me. My personal interest is in military matters from the Victorian Era as a whole and thus extends significantly into "activities" involving other nations but not the Brits - such as the American civil war and the Franco/Prussian war. I have for example done some research into the extent to which the recorded views of the numerous observers that sundry nations sent to other peoples conflicts influenced the conduct of subsequent conflicts (not much is my general conculsion - at least in the case of the British, but I guess that's the arrogance of Empire!!). But the forum's focus on British Victorian militaria I feel rather precludes discussion of that with colleagues. I recognise that there is the "off topic" section, but...well that's off topic!! Anyway as I say, feel free to reject the thought as I know it is somewhat offside.

The second thought may be more practicable - there is much original research still going on into this wonderful period. From time to time people will post on the forum news articles etc. that come to their notice. But I wonder if there is scope for a specific section encouraging members who have researched specific issues to publish their works here - in other words a "new research section"?

I hope that these are the sort of thoughts that you were looking for. I'll feel no pain if you like neither :cry: ! My general message is keep up the good work.

Steve
SteveMc1958

Postby Mark » 04 May 2010 19:31

Grant

I am happy to inform you that your suggestions ref the "Canada" sub-forum have been accepted and now put in place :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby GrantRCanada » 04 May 2010 19:50

Thanks, Mark!
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 04 May 2010 19:59

Hi Steve

Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions - they are much appreciated!

As to your first suggestion the forum was set up with a clear focus on the wars and campaigns (and other associated issues) fought by Britain and her Empire during the Victorian period. We did slightly extend this to cover the campaigns that took place between the end of the Victorian period and the start of the First World War. The reason for this was because they were often Victorian in nature and do not seem to be covered by any other forum on the internet. However, to extend further to cover non-British wars and campaigns of the 1837-1913 period would be a major change in direction and focus of the VWF. It would also completely alter the nature of the forum and physically expand the size of it into something potentially unmanageable. With this in mind we will continue to keep the original focus intended for the forum when it was setup (and the subsequent minor extenstion to 1913.)

Now as to your second suggestion this is an area I would very much like to see take off. We have already setup a thread for members to post their research findings to share with other forum members (see here: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=1883). However, to date there has only been a few postings and not enough to create a new dedicated sub-forum. Should enough interest be generated in this I would certainly be happy to look at it.

Hope all that makes sense? :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SteveMc1958 » 05 May 2010 19:57

Mark

Thanks for your response - I entirely understand on the expansion point (and that's what I thought you would say :D )

On the research point, thanks for the link to the string - I confess that I had somehow missed that one!

S
SteveMc1958

Next

Return to Feedback & Suggestions